Leucistic Swamp Harrier

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
nzsam

Leucistic Swamp Harrier

Postby nzsam » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:20 pm

I saw a white swamp harrier in Eastern Southland farmland today. I presume it is leucistic but of note were single bilateral black bands on both wings (see photo rear view in flight). It was twice as timid as the usual swamp harrier is when you stop your car to take it's photo so I apologise for the shocking photos plus they are cropped as well.
2X2A4919 crop for BNZ.jpg
2X2A4919 crop for BNZ.jpg (866.9 KiB) Viewed 2703 times
2X2A5011 red for BNZ.jpg
2X2A5011 red for BNZ.jpg (1.42 MiB) Viewed 2703 times
2X2A5008 red for BNZ.jpg
2X2A5008 red for BNZ.jpg (1.42 MiB) Viewed 2703 times
kelly111

Re: Leucistic Swamp Harrier

Postby kelly111 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:38 pm

This is very cool.is this the first time you have see it..
nzsam

Postby nzsam » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:49 pm

kelly111 wrote:This is very cool.is this the first time you have see it..

Yes it was the first time.
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:40 pm

That is one neat looking harrier. If my memory is correct, bilateral symmetry is a feature of leucism, so those dark primaries suggest you could reasonably call it leucistic.
nzsam

Postby nzsam » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:30 am

Neil Fitzgerald wrote:That is one neat looking harrier. If my memory is correct, bilateral symmetry is a feature of leucism, so those dark primaries suggest you could reasonably call it leucistic.

Thank you for that confirmation Neil.
nzsam

Postby nzsam » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:33 pm

Michael posted one of the photos on New Zealand Birders Facebook page. A comment was posted by Johannes Fischer. He has given me permission to quote his comments on this forum.
"Clearly not leucistic, but more likely to be a mutation called 'Brown'. See: https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... s_in_birds

I then posted the flight shot and he commented - "Those black primaries suggest to me that it is indeed "Brown". "Brown" is a mutation that causes a qualitative reduction of eumelanin: it breaks down in UV light. In other words, feathers get produced in their normal colour, but quickly fade to white as they bleach in sunlight. You can see that at least the right black primary is still being moulted, suggesting exactly this mutation. Interestingly, this mutation is sex-linked and only females can have it.

So I have learned something :-)
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:39 pm

Argh. Internet died and I lost all the really intelligent things I had written. It won't be as good second time around, I'm sure.

Now that I look properly, those primaries are not even symetrical. :shock: :roll:
Brown is common, and chances are it is a female, but it could be male. For that it would need to have a brown mother and a normal looking father that also carries the mutation. Not likely.

This thread might be of interest to those who haven't seen it:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=247

In that (and I'll repost here) is a link to another of van Grouw's papers with a nice summary table of the common colour aberrations:
https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... s_in_birds

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”