Falcon Encounter

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
boneywhitefoot

Re: Falcon Encounter

Postby boneywhitefoot » Sun May 20, 2018 10:11 pm

Jim thats is if you had an animal that could run away.
I would ask you to consider that it might well be the very best way to hunt skinks is by searching on the ground.
I watched those falcons turning over clumps of sheep poo hunting for something under them, I watched them ignore rabbits right beside them.
I think that skinks would be ideal tucker, little risk of being damaged, easy to catch and eat, good protein.
I can only go by what I have actually seen them doing.
zarkov

Postby zarkov » Sun May 20, 2018 10:18 pm

Jim_j wrote:Oh dear - here I was picking back up the thread expecting some nuggets on terrestrial Falcon behaviour and instead its "my religion is better than your religion"!
No wonder we're so far along the path to destruction - selfish, silly monkeys! - if only dolphins & whales had evolved hands....

cheers
Jim

You saying I'm descended from monkeys?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPHZXqd4qpQ
Jim_j

Postby Jim_j » Mon May 21, 2018 9:16 am

BWF - yep quite right - shows how little we know about the habits and the value of these observations. I read a study too of b/f terns hawking for skinks in the grasslands so obviously a food source for a few species.

Zarkov - I would not presume to know your origins? I see however that the followers of the new religions are just as intolerant as any traditional fundamentalist.....
The new god science demands a high price though, no longer just you first borne or sacrificial goat - Yes I'll give you more food but I'll take your clean rivers for it - Yes I'll show you how to to turn oil into energy - but I'll take the life on the planet in return...?
And the followers of old and new both sit waiting for their respective gods to fix the problems - fat chance from what I can see!!!

cheers
JIm
boneywhitefoot

Postby boneywhitefoot » Mon May 21, 2018 12:57 pm

well said Jim.
We have to fix our own problems no matter what God we serve.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”