Curlew & Hudwit (Tauranga Harbour W)

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
RussCannings

Curlew & Hudwit (Tauranga Harbour W)

Postby RussCannings » Sun May 20, 2018 5:07 pm

Hi all,

Spent today exploring various nooks and crannies of the Tauranga Harbour from Athentree to Welcome Bay. Highlights included a calling Far Eastern Curlew that flew over the Athenree estuary and a Hudsonian Godwit roosting on Matahui Pt (along with 118 Wrybill, 250 godwit, 300+ stilt, and 1 almost tickable kaki lol).

Russ C
Morrinsville, NZ
Tim Barnard

Re: Curlew & Hudwit (Tauranga Harbour W)

Postby Tim Barnard » Sun May 20, 2018 6:53 pm

Cheers Russ. That's interesting. I had a Hudwit there last year. I think I know that Black Stilt seems to be a regular at that location.
rukuhia

Postby rukuhia » Thu May 24, 2018 6:55 pm

IMG_9205.JPG
IMG_9205.JPG (436.68 KiB) Viewed 2093 times
I had good views of the Hudwit as it came into roost this afternoon. Obvious black under the wings and black tail, white rump.Not sure if it is the bird on the right with the bulging supercilium above lores. Did note one on left getting along with a stump ok.
Bob Rigter
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Fri May 25, 2018 6:57 pm

Could be the one directly behind the coloured up bird but otherwise I think they're all barwits in this photo. Great you got it in flight.

Russ

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”