Kookaburra Matakana road

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
flossiepip

Kookaburra Matakana road

Postby flossiepip » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:43 pm

Its some months since we have been on this road on the way out to Tawharanui but as with the last time we travelled the road we managed to see one Kookaburra just west of the town.
Tawharanui July 2015 061_1.JPG
Tawharanui July 2015 061_1.JPG (56.71 KiB) Viewed 3119 times
Tawharanui July 2015 060_2.JPG
Tawharanui July 2015 060_2.JPG (47.99 KiB) Viewed 3119 times
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Re: Kookaburra Matakana road

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:00 pm

I've traveled that road a few times and only seen one once, and it was a speck in fading light. Those are great shots you got there.
simon.fordham

Postby simon.fordham » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:43 pm

Nice photos flossiepip!

Coincidentally, we travelled to Matakana this evening and noticed two individuals on power lines, south of the village, perhaps about 2km apart.

Simon
TheBirderman

Postby TheBirderman » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:26 pm

I’m afraid that the Kookaburras could out-compete with Native Birdlife and become an agricultural pest.
chris

Postby chris » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:06 pm

Im down in chch . But i have a question
Are the northland kookies blue wings.it looks like it in your photos. If so and im probably mistaken. Blue wings dont have the famous bush cry of the old tarzan movies. Which mystifies me because im sure i have read posts of annoyed locals complaining about the noise. I lived in a part of australia for many years which had both species and unlike the browns the bluewings were mainly solitary and quiet and call less.
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:52 pm

According to nzbirdsonline, we have only the Laughing kookaburra (Dacelo novaeguineae), not the blue-winged (Dacelo leachii).
sav

Postby sav » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:49 am

chris wrote:Im down in chch . But i have a question
Are the northland kookies blue wings.it looks like it in your photos. If so and im probably mistaken. Blue wings dont have the famous bush cry of the old tarzan movies. Which mystifies me because im sure i have read posts of annoyed locals complaining about the noise. I lived in a part of australia for many years which had both species and unlike the browns the bluewings were mainly solitary and quiet and call less.

Hi Chris,

I'm afraid that you are mistaken. For a bunch of reasons the photographed bird does not look like a Blue-winged Kookaburra. Notably the amount of blue feathers which is MUCH more in BWK. There are other plumage and structural differences.

cheers
Sav Saville
Wrybill Birding Tours, NZ
Great Birds, Real Birders

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”