Black-tailed Native Hen

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
erikforsyth

Black-tailed Native Hen

Postby erikforsyth » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:13 pm

Hi all

just seen a picture on NZ Birders(Facebook) of a Black-tailed Native Hen!

cheers
Erik Forsyth
Rockjumper Birding Tours
www.rockjumperbirding.com
erikforsyth

Re: Black-tailed Native Hen

Postby erikforsyth » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:52 pm

its at Waimatua, Southland

cheers
Erik Forsyth
Rockjumper Birding Tours
www.rockjumperbirding.com
Oscar Thomas

Re: Black-tailed Native Hen, Southland

Postby Oscar Thomas » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:54 pm

This is the 7th record for this species in New Zealand. According to the proud landowners on Facebook, they are in Waimatua just outside of Invercargill (vagrant central!) and it has been around for about three weeks. Apparently it is fairly approachable, and they are welcome to anybody wanting to see it. Here is the photograph they have posted of the bird:
btnh.jpg
btnh.jpg (121.73 KiB) Viewed 3756 times
sav

Postby sav » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:59 am

It's present this morning. Seen by Matt Jones and Neil Robertson.

And I thought the Lake Hood one was the ultimate blocker.........

cheers
Sav Saville
Wrybill Birding Tours, NZ
Great Birds, Real Birders
Neil Robertson

Postby Neil Robertson » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:23 am

Black-tailed Nativehen showed well this morning between 7.00 and 8.15. A bit flighty. Showing well with close views from gaps in flax near underpass and white picket fence on Welsh Road. Jayne (the farmer) is happy for people to visit. Contact Phil Rhodes for directions. Will try and post photos later.
Neil Robertson
Wrybill Birding Tours, NZ
Great birds, real birders
Phil Rhodes

Postby Phil Rhodes » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:23 pm

Lloyd Esler and I headed out to find the bird at 1.00pm today but no sign of it. Very strong westerley winds may have forced it into the numerous flax bushes which border the road paddock. As Neil has mentioned I can supply the location details but Jayne has asked that I txt her if there are birders heading out for a look. As this is a busy dairy farm please make sure gates, electric fences are left as you found them and if the cows are heading in for milking stay away from the underpass area please.
Davidthomas

Postby Davidthomas » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:30 am

Bird wasn't present yesterday, and hasn't been seen by anyone (farmers or birders) since Neil and Matt saw it Saturday Morning. the field it's been hanging out in has been grazed as of today so might have moved nearby. Plenty of habitat similar to what it's been hanging out in for the last wee while so could well still be nearby.
Tim Barnard

Postby Tim Barnard » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:45 pm

The trail has gone a bit quiet ... any more info would be good. I've heard a few reports that it may have moved on.
igor

Postby igor » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:19 pm

Hey Tim, no sign of the bird this last weekend, and a farm worker advised it had not been seen since 11 Nov.
Phil Rhodes

Postby Phil Rhodes » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:00 pm

Yes unfortunately the bird seems to have gone, I have asked Jayne from the farm to let me know if it turns up again. There are numerous paddocks around the farm without easy access so it could be anywhere. I will advise of any sightings. (I think Neil and Matt are still prime suspects in it's disappearance).

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”