miranda today (2005-2020)

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Grahame

Re: miranda today

Postby Grahame » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:21 pm

Sadly there was no sign of the Sanderling today, a bird that I am very familiar with, over many years.
The other bad news, is that there is fresh window glass in the car park.
Davidthomas

Postby Davidthomas » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:34 pm

Ah bummer! On both counts. Was hoping he'd stick around for atleast a few more days. Still need sanderling on my nz list. Ah well.

Might give it a go on Sunday depending on the weather. Where did you first see the sanderling Grahame?
Grahame

Postby Grahame » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:33 pm

Hi David, it was to the right from the hide, fairly close in, running about feeding along the tideline. It then unfortunately got spooked and flew north in front of the hide with a few Knot, and was lost to view from my position. I really do hope you see it Sunday.
Liam Ballard

Postby Liam Ballard » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:32 pm

The OSNZ Youth Banding Camp had a great long weekend at Miranda, and as well as the Shore Plover, there was a Curlew Sandpiper, a Red-necked Stint, a slightly stringy Pectoral Sandpiper, three Sharpies, a Kotuku, three Pateke, and the Marsh Sandpiper. Maybe someone (Oscar) can post some photos...
Liam Ballard
Tim Barnard

Postby Tim Barnard » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:20 pm

That's a pretty tidy line-up Liam. Great work team. Hope the Shore Plover sticks around, its been a long time since I've seen one of those.
Cheers
Tim
Grahame

Postby Grahame » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:05 pm

A breeding plumage Cattle Egret dropped into Miranda this morning, and surprisingly flew over the shingle bank onto the mud. Strange ! !
A very pretty juvenile Sharp-tailed sandpiper was again on the southern end of the stilt pools. For those who are unaware, there are now three hides, the main, now named Godwit, the Wrybill where the old hide used to be, and the Stilt hide overlooking the stilt pools roughly half way along.
Grahame
David Riddell

Postby David Riddell » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:40 pm

Had a look for the grey plover on Wednesday evening, without success, but did see this skua (I think arctic, but open to other opinions) well away to the right of the godwit hide. First time I've seen one sitting on a mudflat.
Skua Miranda.JPG
Skua Miranda.JPG (191.36 KiB) Viewed 2948 times
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:03 pm

Looks like a probable intermediate morph adult Arctic but it's hard to say based on the photo alone. Facial pattern and bill could work for Pom but angle of photo and lighting could be misleading. Did you note a distinct dark tip to the bill by chance? Always cool seeing these guys up close.
Russ
Last edited by RussCannings on Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Riddell

Postby David Riddell » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:31 am

Couldn't really see too much detail at the distance and in the dim light. I wondered if I could make it into a pomarine but without seeing it fly it was difficult to assess its size and build. It looks quite big relative to the godwits in the background, but I think that's an effect of the 60x zoom foreshortening the view - it's a lot closer to the camera than the godwits. Also I think it had fluffed out its feathers against the strong cool breeze so the bulky appearance is probably deceptive.
Grahame

Postby Grahame » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:20 am

The Grey Plover was in the north end of the stilt pool at 0645 this morning, but although the Little Whimbrel was seen yesterday evening, there was no sign this morning.
Grahame

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”