Fairy Prion Waikanae Estuary

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
Charlotte

Fairy Prion Waikanae Estuary

Postby Charlotte » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:26 pm

Hello,
We went for a walk at Waikanae Estuary this afternoon, shortly after midday. We entered close to Hadfield Street entrance. Just into the first minute of our walk stumbled across this little chap who was looking exhausted and hanging out right by the path. He did a run and tried to fly but unsuccessfully at that point. We decided to leave him to it and he was gone by the time we walked back through.

We didn’t get a great photo with his tail, so assumption on the ID - appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks
Charlotte
BNB_2290.jpeg
BNB_2290.jpeg (136.43 KiB) Viewed 2957 times
BNB_2288.jpeg
BNB_2288.jpeg (142.23 KiB) Viewed 2957 times
GrahamB

Re: Fairy Prion Waikanae Estuary

Postby GrahamB » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:03 pm

A few days of strong westerlies and northwesterlies along this coast to 'blame'. It might be worth keeping a lookout for other wrecked birds. During the big wreck a few years ago we had a couple of dead Broad-billed Prions in the garden.
Charlotte

Postby Charlotte » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:18 pm

Ok thanks Graham, I hope it’s managed to sort itself out and found a safe place to rest in. Good to know for next time. Saw the other posts on the Big Wreck, what would you usually do if you saw a bird in this position along that stretch of coastline?
GrahamB

Postby GrahamB » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:56 pm

Hi Charlotte,

there is an SPCA outfit on the way North out of Waikanae on the old SH1. A year or two ago we rescued a f/w terrapin from the surf at Pukerua Bay (thought it was a sea turtle in trouble at first) and took it to Nga Manu - it was eventually reunited with owner in Pukerua Bay. SPCA is better equipped for this kind of incident.
Cheers
GrahamB
Charlotte

Postby Charlotte » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:06 pm

Thanks Graham good to know!
Alan Tennyson

Postby Alan Tennyson » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:27 am

I walked along Waikanae Beach yesterday and found 9 Antarctic prions and 4 fairys + a fluttering shearwater - all freshly dead, so there has been a bit of an Antarctic 'wreck' it seems. All the Antarctics looked to be young birds.
GrahamB

Postby GrahamB » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:44 pm

Thanks for this info, Alan. I must refresh the ID of Antarctic Prion before I go out next time somewhere along Kapiti coast.
Cheers,
GrahamB
David Riddell

Postby David Riddell » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:55 am

There's definitely been a wreck of prions and other birds over the past couple of weeks. Annette and I did a beach patrol at Waikorea (NW Waikato) yesterday and found 36 prions (21 Salvin's, 8 Antarctic, 2 fairy, 5 scavenged and headless), as well as a fairly fresh white-capped mollymawk, a white-headed petrel, three blue penguins, and two sets of scavenged wings that by colour and measurements (192mm and 195mm) I'm fairly sure were little shearwater. The wind had swung around and was blowing offshore (the sea was as calm as I've seen it there), so nothing more coming in for the time being. The beach is 5.4km long.

Looks like a fairy prion to me too, Charlotte.
Charlotte

Postby Charlotte » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:30 pm

Imagine with the weather they’ve been having up north this weekend, there’s bound to be more.

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”