Marsh crake, Ahuriri Napier

Bird sighting information. Use this forum to report bird sightings (especially rare and unusual birds), census and field count results, and trip reports. Messages posted to this forum will also be sent as a plain text email to the BIRDING-NZ newsgroup.
boneywhitefoot

Re: Marsh crake, Ahuriri Napier

Postby boneywhitefoot » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:25 pm

I wish I had saved mine for you bro
bennydog

Postby bennydog » Fri May 25, 2018 8:04 am

I am incredulous at the discussions regarding Crakes at Ahiriri ( Napier ) , It possibly is DOC's responsibility to do predator control at the marsh areas containing these birds BUT it does not get done so WHY don't some local bird photographers/watchers etc do it...
No use talking about it, the why and how of why the birds have gone...
Also increased human activity attracts Stoats etc as they associate people with possible food potential..
It does not take a huge effort to do some predator trapping ,source some traps from DOC or local council, get a few volunteers even ask Forest & bird people they may put the binoculars down and help....
Cheryl Walton

Postby Cheryl Walton » Fri May 25, 2018 11:19 am

bennydog it is not as simple as that. Myself and other birders have been trying to get trapping done in the area and there are groups-people that need to be approached before any volunteer group can trap as it is DOC land. DOC has been approached tio help make this happen. We are still trying to get this going. Hopefully with the funding that has been given this can progress ahead.
bennydog

Postby bennydog » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:34 pm

Hi Cheryl, re Crake area at Ahiriri. I had a go at DOC about the situation and was told that they have millions of acres to look after and cannot be expected to concentrate on Ahiriri
Given that, it would be a no brainer to approach DOC or whoever and get the go ahead for a private group to take the initiative..
I have a similar situation at Emerau wetland north go Gisborne. DOC loaned me a few broken down traps which I had to re-instate,- no problem ,just time. GDC are not interested so I do it myself with no other volunteers..
It is frustrating I understand... But Ive found going alone is the only way....regards Neil Foster

Return to “Bird Sightings and Alerts”