Wood Pigeons, Auckland City

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
zarkov

Re: Wood Pigeons, Auckland City

Postby zarkov » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:35 pm

There have always been Wood Pigeons around the North shore where I live, and I've planted trees to attract them.

However they still seem to be the birds most prone to collision with windows, despite my best efforts in the way of stickers, tape etc.

I noticed a dramatic increase when I replaced the old wood frames with double glazing, and for a while I couldn't understand why, until one morning I glanced up and realized they were reflecting the sky from behind me.

I'd always thought that they perceived windows as being gaps in a solid that they could fly through, rather than clear blue sky, which was an illusion that the double glazing amplified.

This might be one reason that they haven't done as well in suburbia as expected.
Jim_j

Postby Jim_j » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:29 am

Interesting observation - I'd also assumed they saw Windows as gaps but that makes more sense.

Cheers
Jim
zarkov

Postby zarkov » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:22 pm

These are the 2nd story windows, downstairs single glaze isn't a problem.

Viewed from level flight, or slightly below, they mirror the scenery behind you, especially in the morning.
Jim_j

Postby Jim_j » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:53 pm

Our house is 2 level in a small bush gully used regularly for feeding and as a flight path for pigeon - we've been there 3 years and no bird strike despite seeing birds swooping towards us only lifting to clear house and windows at what often seems like the last moment - maybe a slightly different aspect I'm not sure? Hopefully haven't spoken to soon.....

Cheers Jim

Return to “General Birding Discussion”