Butterfly question

Discuss natural history subjects not strictly related to birds. Reports of interesting mammal, reptile, and invertebrate sightings are welcome.
sav

Butterfly question

Postby sav » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:46 pm

Not a bird at all, but I have just seen an Australian Painted Lady butterfly at Whenuapai air force base in Auckland. Does anyone know if that is unusual here and at this time of year? The only others I have seen in NZ were around Feilding and Ohakea several years ago and I'm fairly sure they were late in the summer (and part of a large influx), so is it likely that this butterfly has overwintered here?

Incidentally Whenuapai is littered with Spotted Doves - they are everywhere, and I had 2 NZ Dotterels on the airfield yesterday as well.
Sav Saville
Wrybill Birding Tours, NZ
Great Birds, Real Birders
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Re: Butterfly question

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:01 pm

I've seen one at Mt Arthur, Kahurangi NP in February. Andrew Crow's green book doesn't mention seasonal trends, just
Arrives in New Zealand from Australia most years, sometimes in large numbers and occasionally breeds here over summer.

We've had a strong flow across the Tasman recently...
farnorth

Postby farnorth » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:22 pm

no...........I've never seen one at this time of year, late summer is the normal time for trans-tasman crossings but the weather patterns we have been having may have pushed it down this way; however as you suggest it may have over-wintered. It's been estimated that it takes 54-60hrs for Butterflies to get here from AU.................it's not a bird but if it 's a recent arrival it could be an indication its going to be a good year for vagrants...............well here's hoping!
For those interested the photo of the Painted Lady was taken on the 20.2.08 at Kaimaumau, Far North.
Cheers Kevin
Copy (2) of IMG_5934 Painted lady East bch Kaimau. reardune 20.2.08.JPG
Copy (2) of IMG_5934 Painted lady East bch Kaimau. reardune 20.2.08.JPG (190.19 KiB) Viewed 6894 times
David Riddell

Postby David Riddell » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:06 pm

I've seen painted ladies a couple of times in the Waikato, but not for many years and only in summer. From what I remember of George Gibbs's book on NZ butterflies they tend to die out over the winter, so one at this time of the year would have to be unusual.

David
Scott Bartlam

Postby Scott Bartlam » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:10 pm

In September of 1968 they appeared in Wellington and the Manawatu (according to George Gibbs). In Austrailia they are known to make large migrations in August-September. With the Westerly flow allready mentioned, my money would be on an early trans-Tasman crossing.

Scott
farnorth

Postby farnorth » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:54 am

The migration in AU at this time of year is fom NSW & QLD south and it would think that's entirely possible to get a trans-Tasman crossing given the right weather patterns.
Cheers Kevin
David Riddell

Postby David Riddell » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:50 pm

Not sure, but I think a painted lady just flew by our house. Just got a quick glimpse of a rusty orange butterfly, about the size of, or perhaps a bit smaller than a yellow admiral.
simon.fordham

Postby simon.fordham » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:07 pm

What about a Forest Ringlet? What sort of habitat do you live near?
David Riddell

Postby David Riddell » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:36 am

Sadly, I don't think so. We're in the depths of cow country, about 15km north of Hamilton. I've seen forest ringlets before, and recall the white underwings as being more conspicuous than on the insect I just saw. Meadow argus might be a remote possibility...

Return to “Other Natural History”