Peculiar Silver-eye

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Jake

Peculiar Silver-eye

Postby Jake » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:14 am

I have not asked permission to share these images, so here's a link to pics of a very interesting fellow
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S47305449
Jim Kirker

Re: Peculiar Silver-eye

Postby Jim Kirker » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:09 am

The upper mandible looks about twice the length of the lower, but no wider than normal. The bone grew too long and perhaps is still growing. It must limit what it can feed on, but presumably the feeder provides it with sugar. I wonder what the cause is, genetic or an acquired metabolic effect ?
Jake

Postby Jake » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:32 pm

Definitely something f*** with its keratin production (based on that, I'd vote that this is genetic). Note that its nails are looking wild too; one of the middle ones looks like it may have gotten caught on something and ripped/broken off
Jim Kirker

Postby Jim Kirker » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:19 pm

Yes, keratin overgrowth. Fits better with the normal bill width. I agree nails are too long too. It's looking like "Avian Keratin Disorder".
There is an article in the OSNZ September 2016 Newsletter (I found it by googling "avian keratin disorder osnz").

Return to “General Birding Discussion”