Mystery Bird #10 - The answer

Monthly challenge to test and improve your bird identification skills.
sav

Mystery Bird #10 - The answer

Postby sav » Sun May 01, 2011 3:21 pm

I should start by saying that when Brent first showed me this photo I had absolutely no idea what it was! Another couple of views of the same bird perched on a wire.........and then it clicked!!

Those big white wing flashes do look a bit like a Skua of some sort, but did I hear a little uncertainty in each of the Skua answers? I think I did, because the construction of the white patch is not right for any Skua, and I think you all knew that!?

There was something very familiar about the distinctive rich brown colour on the rump and tail of the bird that I just couldn't put my finger on. And the shape of the wings is rather unusual too.........What a shame we couldn't see it's bill!

The bird in question is a Laughing Kookaburra. Once you know that it all becomes blindingly obvious, but I guess the fact that Heather and Robinson do not show the bird in flight may have thrown some people.

After an absolute rotter for April, you might find May a little better. At least we should have all the answers in one genus this time!!

cheers
Sav Saville
Wrybill Birding Tours, NZ
Great Birds, Real Birders
Shane McPherson

Re: Mystery Bird #10 - The answer

Postby Shane McPherson » Mon May 02, 2011 2:00 pm

blimely. I hope it still counts seeing that I forgot the "Laughing"

Suggestion of barring in the tail and the bits of blue on the rump were what steered me in the right direction.

Return to “Mystery Bird ID Quiz”