Monthly challenge to test and improve your bird identification skills.
- David Riddell
- Posts: 877
- Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:46 pm
On the strength of the gape running past the eye I'm going to plug for good old white heron.
- Peter Frost
- Posts: 173
- Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:59 am
Despite the presence of a cow in the background, this is surely a white heron (kotuku). The gape extends beyond the rear end of the eye (thus ruling out Intermediate Egret and Cattle Egret), and the 'jizz' is wrong for a cattle egret (although cattle egret can extend their necks, to have an S-shaped neck and humped back is unlike a cattle egret with an extended neck).
- Posts: 60
- Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:33 am
Based on the gape extending beyond the eye I pick a white heron. Bruce
- Posts: 260
- Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:19 pm
White Heron - Egretta alba
- Posts: 588
- Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 2:21 pm
Great Egret. And a young bull.
- Posts: 68
- Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:31 pm
- Posts: 152
- Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:59 pm
- Posts: 16
- Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:46 am
- Location: Tauranga