Octopus copulation

Discuss natural history subjects not strictly related to birds. Reports of interesting mammal, reptile, and invertebrate sightings are welcome.
Raewyn

Octopus copulation

Postby Raewyn » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:30 am

Happy New Year!

We had our usual pre Christmas trip to Kapowairua/Spirit's Bay. I saw a total of 6 octopuses in the rock pools which is the most for some time. Most were single sightings and the one I did see three times told me to "go away" so I didn't get any ongoing engagement this time. Then, on the last day, from above I saw an octopus at the bottom of one of the deeper pools, sitting out from the edges which was unusual. I dropped a cracked oyster for it but it didn't move. I put the GoPro in and it didn't move. I wondered if it was dead but its colour looked OK apart from one arm being different. So I wondered if it was injured, thought it best to leave it alone, and went on my way.

But... when I downloaded the GoPro photos this was what I saw. A second octopus that was just out of view from above and they appear to be copulating. Since it's something a bit different I thought others might be interested.

G0029051-1.jpg
G0029051-1.jpg (258.37 KiB) Viewed 3082 times
David Riddell

Re: Octopus copulation

Postby David Riddell » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:06 am

What an amazing thing to see! Male cephalopods have a modified arm, called a hectocotylus, which they use to pass spermatophores to the females, definitely looks like that's what's going on here.
Raewyn

Postby Raewyn » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:03 pm

Thanks. Octopuses are amazing animals and this was certainly an unusual encounter.
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:18 pm

That is a neat thing to see.

Return to “Other Natural History”