Long-tailed blue - Okere Falls

Discuss natural history subjects not strictly related to birds. Reports of interesting mammal, reptile, and invertebrate sightings are welcome.
Tim Barnard

Long-tailed blue - Okere Falls

Postby Tim Barnard » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:01 pm

Hi
I had a Long-tailed blue in the garden today ... don't get many in and around Rotorua - usually more common on the coastal plain.
Nice to see.
Cheers
Tim
IMG_3605.jpg
IMG_3605.jpg (90.61 KiB) Viewed 4955 times
Tim Barnard

Re: Long-tailed blue - Okere Falls

Postby Tim Barnard » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:20 am

Like waiting for buses - not seen one for ages ... then they come in two's ... another one today.
IMG_3629.jpg
IMG_3629.jpg (109.41 KiB) Viewed 4899 times
Olwen

Postby Olwen » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:11 am

Beautiful. Thanks for posting.
sav

Postby sav » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:01 pm

Hi Tim, and all,

I had one, and probably 2, male Long-tailed Blues in my Havelock North garden this morning. I have never knowingly seen one before, and though I may not pay as much attention to blue butterflies as I might, it was so distinctive that I'm not sure I've missed many.

How common are they in NZ? I'm finding it hard to work that out, though I see that they are quite widespread.

cheers
Sav Saville
Wrybill Birding Tours, NZ
Great Birds, Real Birders
Tim Barnard

Postby Tim Barnard » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:07 pm

Hey Sav,
I think we are all going to get to know our local areas and garden wildlife pretty well through the lockdown. Moth trap is coming out tonight!
I suspect this is a butterfly that will expand its range with climate change. I don't know much about national distribution these days - from what I've read they are NI and upper SI but that might have changed. Given they are gorse feeders, there is plenty of the food plant about. Would be good to know. It's worth putting your obs here https://inaturalist.nz/ would be good to build up more data. I have a backlog of things to add - maybe a task for the month ahead.

I haven't seen one in the garden this year (so far). Butterflies around here did get knocked back by some quite cold conditions in the late spring and early summer. Even the Monarch's were thin on the ground till about a month ago.

All the best ...

Tim
Pat Miller

Postby Pat Miller » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:22 pm

There I was, going for my local walk this morning, with Little Blue Butterflies fluttering along the side of the road and me wondering to myself how you guys have picked out the Long-tailed Blues that you have seen. That is, whether you had to catch them to see the detail, or whether I had forgotten just how small details I could see at a brief glance before I needed reading glasses. Then, lo and behold, one of the many little blues alighted on a Mexican Devilweed next to me and I thought I could see a strand of fluff that looked like it could be the "tail" of a Long-tailed Blue. And guess what, (sorry no prizes for the right answer) ? When I crouched down and crept a little bit forward, the butterfly opened its wings and I was able to see that the "fluff" was in fact the "tails" on the wings and I could see the spots on the wings too. So they are up here in Whangarei too. Nice to see something new when you can't go far from home at the moment!

Cheerio,
Pat
Tim Barnard

Postby Tim Barnard » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:17 pm

One Long-tailed blue around the garden yesterday. Nice to see.
All the best
Tim
sav

Postby sav » Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:12 pm

I just had one in my garden. Not quite a year after the initial sightings.

cheers
Sav Saville
Wrybill Birding Tours, NZ
Great Birds, Real Birders

Return to “Other Natural History”