New Zealand Ravens

Discussion about the evolution, relationships, and naming of New Zealand birds
Ian Southey

New Zealand Ravens

Postby Ian Southey » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:36 pm

Here's one I've been waiting to see for some time

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... and_Ravens

It looks like New Zealand Ravens are like Aussie ravens - but with a twist.

Ian
Michael

Re: New Zealand Ravens

Postby Michael » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:18 am

My recent trip to Adelaide, South Australia, made me realise just how different New Zealand would've been if these birds had survived. The Red-Billed Gull was rarely found far from the coast, where it's NZ role had been taken by the Australian Raven. Even on the beach, it was the ravens who were scrounging around for edible bits and bobs in the sands.
Latest Lifer: Australian Gull-Billed Tern @ Manawatu Estuary
andrewcrossland

Postby andrewcrossland » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:56 pm

I wonder what effect beach-dwelling ravens had on nz shorebirds in the past? If a morepork can wipe out a shire plover pop what could the Ravens do? I once spent two years studying a breeding population of Malaysian plover in Singapore. ONE of the main predators of chick's was the introduced and ubiquitous house crow. I could imagine crows or ravens in nz wreaking havoc on beach and riverbed birds here. ......
Ian Southey

Postby Ian Southey » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:40 am

But they are the kind of predator that New Zealand birds seem to have some defences for. Shore Plover even nest under cover.

Ian
Clinton9

Postby Clinton9 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:05 pm

Red-billed gulls were cliff nesters while Black-billed gulls were inland nesters. NZ ravens would have be careful not be dive-bombed by group of Red-billed gulls and nests were on narrowest ledge, so ravens might not able to take eggs from nests of Red-billed gulls.

If NZ ravens are confined to coasts with Red-billed gulls, they would have no way of take eggs from Black-billed gull colonies.

Return to “Bird Taxonomy and Nomenclature”