Six months in paradise!

Birds of the islands and waters of the South Pacific.
Liam Ballard

Six months in paradise!

Postby Liam Ballard » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:03 pm

I have recently returned from 6 months in Papua New Guinea! I left with a passing interest in animals, and came back a bit of a bird fanatic!
The place does that to you! We stayed in Wewak, in the East Sepik area, and although I wasn't there for the birds, I still saw 90 species with only a point and shoot camera (albeit a nice one) and my eyes. One of my biggest regrets was not bringing binoculars! Some of my favourites were the Olive-backed Sunbird, Rainbow Bee-eater, Blyth's Hornbill, and of course 3 species of Bird of Paradise, the Lesser BoP, King BoP and Glossy-mantled Manucode. I regretted missing out on the fabulous Paradise-Kingfishers, cryptic Owlet-Nightjars, the Twelve-wired BoP and Northern Cassowary (I missed seeing the cassowary by about 5 seconds! :x Still kicking myself over that one!) However, someone tried to sell us a juvenile cassowary, plus we saw one in captivity.

I would definitely recommend going there, and while it is expensive and somewhat unsafe, it was amazing! It seems that Papua New Guinea's reputation for crime, while not entirely ill-founded, is greatly exaggerated, at least in the Sepik. We met some awesome, friendly people, and other than the occasional problem with drunks or crazy people (no mental hospitals :( ) we were fine.

Also, I tried getting this bird http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=331032&highlight=Papua+New+Guinea identified on BirdForum, but really, no-one goes to PNG! It is some kind of goshawk, I think either Grey-headed or Variable. It was nesting in a tree near us. If you happen to be a bit of a raptor expert, or know some PNG/AU birds, please have a listen!

Anyway, to sum up my experience - I'll be back!

Hornbill, Blyth's.JPG
Hornbill, Blyth's.JPG (241.88 KiB) Viewed 5845 times

Blyth's Hornbill
Bird of Paradise, Lesser (Male).JPG
Bird of Paradise, Lesser (Male).JPG (442.05 KiB) Viewed 5845 times

Lesser Bird of Paradise (Male)
Sunbird, Olive-backed.JPG
Sunbird, Olive-backed.JPG (173.97 KiB) Viewed 5845 times

Olive-backed Sunbird
Liam Ballard
George Hobson

Re: Six months in paradise!

Postby George Hobson » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:22 pm

Sounds like an amazing experience, Liam!
Rather jealous, especially of the bird of paradise :|

Also that Bittern, nice one!
Latest lifer: Little Shearwater in the Wellington Harbor (168)!
Liam Ballard

Postby Liam Ballard » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:56 am

Thanks!
Yeah, the birds of paradise were pretty cool. I just wish that I had got some better photos.
Liam Ballard
erikforsyth

Postby erikforsyth » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:30 pm

Hi Liam

Several bird watching companies from the UK, United States, Canada and South Africa, visit PNG every year during the months June to September. I lead 1-3 tours there every year and are familiar with the birds in PNG, especially around Port Moresby, Mt Hagen, Tari Valley, Kiunga and the Star Mountains at Tabubil. I have also toured along the Sepik River. We see up to 22 Birds-of-paradise species on our tours.
Although I am not 100% certain of your call, it sounds like either a Variable or Grey-headed Goshawk. Did you see the leg and cere colours? Red in Grey-headed and yellowish in Variable Goshawk.

Best wishes
Erik Forsyth
Rockjumper Bird Tours
www.rockjumperbirding.com
Whakatane
Liam Ballard

Postby Liam Ballard » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:09 am

Thanks Eric - I was thinking the same thing. Variable G's calls seem to be too slow, but as there is no recording of a grey-headed on the Macaulay library I have nothing to compare it to. I did get a few bad photos of the goshawk's back, I'll put them up and you can see what you think. Also, I'm jealous of your job ☺.
Liam Ballard
Liam Ballard

Postby Liam Ballard » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:18 am

Here it is. It's probably a variable but I had never heard the White morph ones calling, so I assumed that they were almost nonvocal.
I will be stoked if it is a grey head, but on second thoughts it probably isn't.

Thanks!

Liam
IMG_7547.JPG
Variable/Grey-headed Goshawk
IMG_7547.JPG (444.56 KiB) Viewed 5661 times
Liam Ballard
erikforsyth

Postby erikforsyth » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:24 pm

Hi Liam

Good photo, which would clinch it as Variable Goshawk with the Yellowish legs and cere. Grey-headed Goshawk would have blood red legs and cere andmuch paler grey colour overall. If you get a chance to go back to Wewak, I would try get in 1-2 nights at Kumul lodge between Wewak and Mt Hagen. There are Brown Sicklebills, Ribbon-tailed Astrapia's, Papuan Lorikeets and Brehm's Tiger Parrots attending the fruit table in the gardens.We often see the male Crested Satinbird in the garden!
Kumul lodge are contactable in Mt Hagen town. Speak to Kenneth or Tanya (managers)

cheers
Erik Forsyth
Rockjumper Birding Tours
www.rockjumperbirding.com
Liam Ballard

Postby Liam Ballard » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:35 pm

Hi guys! Sorry to hijack my oldish post, but I have a few more Sepik birds that need IDing. Here is the link, please ignore the username, it seemed like a good idea at the time. :/
Anyway, if anyone with any australasian birding experience could take a look I would be very greatful. No need to make a birdforum account, please just post what you think on the birdingnz forum.

Thanks!

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=337906
Liam Ballard

Return to “South Pacific Birds”