Bird Quiz #7

Bird identification challenges for young birders. Posts in this forum will not be publicly visible until a moderator has approved them at the close of each ID quiz.

Moderator: Samsperdy

Michael

Bird Quiz #7

Postby Michael » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:30 pm

Hello,

It's time for another quiz. This particular bird requires some more thinking from outside the box. Look hard. You'll need to. Compare. You'll need to. Identify all the species in this image, a point per species. NOTE: this may be a trick! I am not saying there are more than one species, just saying there are more than 0.

There are points up for grabs for sketches. I'm looking for good accompanying notes, easy to read and interpret and a visual indication of patterns, shading and colour (by colour I mean differences between light and dark, rather than blue and red). Up to three points available.

There are again points for notes, which are only given for correct ID. I have one feature for the overall plumage worth two points, and another if you describe the remainder of the bird well.

There is also a point for outside thinking. This can be given even with a wrong answer, if the decision is logical and has notes. Only one 'wrong' answer actually counts for this.

Photo by Ian Southey.

Michael

Mangere 6-04-09_1996.JPG
Mangere 6-04-09_1996.JPG (59.71 KiB) Viewed 11398 times
Latest Lifer: Australian Gull-Billed Tern @ Manawatu Estuary
Davidthomas

Re: Bird Quiz #7

Postby Davidthomas » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:58 pm

Adult male chestnut teal on the right, smaller bird than the grey teal on the left and orange breast characteristic of a male in non-breeding plumage coupled with red eye and slight green iridescensce on the head.

Adult grey teal on the left, red eye, pale overall with no colour on the breast including a pale chin and neck characteristic between chestnut/grey teal coupled with being slightly larger than the chestnut on the right. Might add in sketch later if i find time.
Oscar Thomas

Postby Oscar Thomas » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:58 pm

Grey teal in the background, Chestnut teal in the foreground. You can tell it's a Chestnut teal because of the way it is. Bright brown breast, smaller overall, according to NZBO they can get up to 9cm smaller than the Tete. Overall, the Chestnut is darker, yet more saturated. Maybe a hint of green over it's ear. But it's also a female because there is no visible white patch on the flank.
Jan

Postby Jan » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:48 am

Outside the box; I think that refers to one of these birds being an Australian visitor, so outside the NZ. I actually suspect this photo was taken in OZ.

The one at the back is a Grey Teal, the front one a Chestnut teal [maybe]. Sometimes Grey teal can look like this from staining by iron-rich water or algae, I have tried to turn many a Grey Teal in NZ into a Chestnut one because of this.

Grey Teal have a pale throat which distinguishes them from the rich darkly speckled throat of the Chestnut. This ? chestnut one might even be a male in eclipse plumage, when his green head isn't showing.

Can't put drawings on cos dont have a scanner or smart phone. Anyway I'm a very old 'young birder' who didn't even know you could blow up the last quiz picture to reveal the C Sand. I did get the Barwit and the G Knot though.
Michael

Postby Michael » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:44 pm

Sorry guys!

Both of these birds are Grey Teal. The very white chin and gizz is what seals it. Chestnut Teal are larger and longer.

Michael.
Latest Lifer: Australian Gull-Billed Tern @ Manawatu Estuary

Return to “Bird ID Quiz”