Cable tie on petrel

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Alan Tennyson

Cable tie on petrel

Postby Alan Tennyson » Sun May 15, 2022 8:32 pm

I picked up a rotten white-chinned petrel at Otaki yesterday that had a cable tie on its leg. The cable tie didn't seem to have caused any obvious physical damage to the bird. I'm wondering why someone would have done this?
White-chinned petrel Otaki 14 May 2022 photo A.Tennyson P1140786.jpg
White-chinned petrel Otaki 14 May 2022 photo A.Tennyson P1140786.jpg (897.59 KiB) Viewed 378 times
Ian McLean

Re: Cable tie on petrel

Postby Ian McLean » Mon May 16, 2022 8:30 pm

Hello Alan
That's very unusual to see & I cannot imagine why someone would attach the cable tie to it !
Unfortunately, there is sometimes a bit of a sadistic element in the behaviour of some people & I have seen pictures of sparrowhawks snared with cable ties. There is also sometimes an element of vanity with people painting & tying balloons or streamers to live birds. Attached is a picture of a collared dove from Katikati, where someone has often trapped these wild doves & then paints them for their pleasure. Complete animal cruelty of course that should not be tolerated.
Cheers
Ian McLean
Barbary Dove painted by Sharnie Riley.jpg
Barbary Dove painted by Sharnie Riley.jpg (118.05 KiB) Viewed 293 times
lloydesler

Postby lloydesler » Mon May 16, 2022 9:07 pm

Could have been to mark the dead bird as having been counted on a beach patrol and left to see how long the body remains visible. It's been done before with different forms of tagging.
Alan Tennyson

Postby Alan Tennyson » Tue May 17, 2022 9:59 pm

I did wonder about that Lloyd but the bird was on the newest tideline, so I think that's unlikely in this case.

Return to “General Birding Discussion”