Bird Books.

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
zarkov

Bird Books.

Postby zarkov » Tue May 12, 2020 4:59 pm

I finally got round to reading this from my local library and really liked it, mainly Northern hemisphere birds, but it is relevant anywhere.. Nor sure about some of his conclusions, but generally very thoughtful. Anyone else read it?

The seabird's cry : the lives and the loves of puffins, gannets and other ocean voyagers / Adam Nicolson

https://www.waterstones.com/book/the-se ... 0008165703
Raewyn

Re: Bird Books.

Postby Raewyn » Wed May 13, 2020 7:03 pm

Thanks for that. I found a preview on Google Books and it looks very readable.

I've been reading The genius of birds / Jennifer Ackerman (preview at https://books.google.co.nz/books?id=7Lv ... ds&f=false or find it in a library). It's a good mix of science and stories and includes NZ birds.
Finn Davey

Postby Finn Davey » Wed May 13, 2020 10:08 pm

I've been reading one called, Birdstories: A History of the Birds of New Zealand. Very good book that has the history of most New Zealand bird species, including their evolution, arrival on NZ, interactions with humans, art and more. Very interesting and has lots of information.
Nakilad

Postby Nakilad » Thu May 14, 2020 6:55 pm

I have a copy of that Birdstories book, purchased at the Auckland Writers Festival last year. It's great for picking up and reading one of the standalone chapters every now and then, or just consuming the whole thing in a sitting.

Last year at a 2nd hand bookstore I found a copy of Seabird Genius by Neville Peat. A biography of Dr. Lance Richdale who did so much research on seabirds, and much more. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Vaughan Turner
Birding Remotely

Return to “General Birding Discussion”