Kawhia Pelagics: May 15 & July 31

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
RussCannings

Kawhia Pelagics: May 15 & July 31

Postby RussCannings » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:52 pm

Hi all,

I have booked full day pelagics with "Venturer" out of Kawhia (Waikato west coast) on May 15th and July 31 (Both are Saturdays). Rough plan would be to leave pre-dawn and steam for Gannet Rock, then out to deep water for a full day of chumming.

Price will depend on numbers but probably in the $175-190 range. Both trips are around half full so let me know asap if you would like to join one or both of these trips.

Please send me your interest via: russellcannings79 AT gmail.com (or text 021994156)

May would be targeting subantarctic birds heading north, and/or possibly lingering dispersing tropical birds (depending on what currents are up to!), and July would be hoping for cold water species. Weather often foils these trips but when we have got out, fun species like Soft-plumaged Petrel, Wilson's Storm-Petrel, Brown Booby, Thin-billed Prion and South Polar/Brown Skua have been sighted.

Cheers,

Russ Cannings
RussCannings

Re: Kawhia Pelagics: May 15 & July 31

Postby RussCannings » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:59 pm

Hello again,

There are still several spots on both of the above trips (2 for May and a few more for July). Both of these are at a great time of year for finding subantarctic migrants and oddball birds.

Flick me an email, text, or call (See details above) if you are interested or have any questions.

All genders welcome!

Russ C
Morrinsville, NZ

Return to “General Birding Discussion”