Marsh Crake in Nelson?

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
FranB

Re: Marsh Crake in Nelson?

Postby FranB » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:10 pm

Yes, left side going towards Rabbit Island
BerndHuss

Postby BerndHuss » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:25 pm

Finally I can report seeing and photographing my first Marsh Crake here in Nelson. Today I went to Pearl Creek again, which is located at the end of Cotterell Rd next to Rabbit Island. Just about 50 metres from the spot where I saw a Buff-banded Rail last Sunday I noticed a movement across the stream. The crake spent just a very short time outside the reeds before it disappeared again. I feel chuffed!
Jake

Postby Jake » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:56 pm

harryhatman wrote:It looks like they were seen at Beacon road this week according to ebird but I missed them there myself.

Is that Beacon Rd near Blenheim? I've been out a few times and not seen them... really great tips on this thread. Does anyone successfully use audio for any of our rails?
harryhatman

Postby harryhatman » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:51 pm

yeah thats the one
Oscar Thomas

Postby Oscar Thomas » Sun May 16, 2021 5:18 pm

The Marsh Crakes are back in Nelson at the Wakapuaka Settling Ponds: https://ebird.org/checklist/S88236053
I wonder how migratory they are because they always seem more conspicuous in certain areas over the winter months.
BerndHuss

Postby BerndHuss » Mon May 17, 2021 7:16 am

I have seen a March Crake now 2 weeks in a row at Pearl Creek next to Rabbit Island. Along the stream that runs along the cycle track from the bridge to Redwood Road. Also present a Banded Rail.
BerndHuss

Postby BerndHuss » Sat May 22, 2021 5:28 pm

Today was the third time I visited Pearl Creek to look for Marsh Crakes and I am 3 for 3 now. This seems to be a safe bet for seeing this secretive bird. Unfortunately it was a single bird each time. I can't tell whether it was the same individual on every occasion, so I will keep visiting this area hoping to see a pair.
PaulRFisher

Postby PaulRFisher » Mon May 24, 2021 9:22 pm

BerndHuss wrote:I have seen a March Crake now 2 weeks in a row at Pearl Creek next to Rabbit Island. Along the stream that runs along the cycle track from the bridge to Redwood Road. Also present a Banded Rail.

I've included a short description on eBird of the location where I saw the crake and heard another call-Paul

Return to “General Birding Discussion”