Marsh Crake in Nelson?

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
BerndHuss

Marsh Crake in Nelson?

Postby BerndHuss » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:56 pm

I would appreciate if anyone could help me out with this.
I heard from various sources that Marsh Crakes have been spotted in the marshes near the WTP by the boulder bank in Nelson.
I visited the site several times now and I am still not quite sure where exactly to look. Going past the plant to the end of the ponds by the car park seems an obvious place, but apart from some ducks and stilts I found no sign of any crake. I am aware that the best time would be either sunrise or sunset, right? Am I checking out the right spot and if not would anyone be kind enough to explain exactly where to search?
Thanks alot for any advice!
Oscar Thomas

Re: Marsh Crake in Nelson?

Postby Oscar Thomas » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:40 pm

I have seen them all through the rushes of the main ponds but I don't think they have been seen recently. They can be quite nomadic but recommend early morning. http://nzbirdsonline.org.nz/sites/all/f ... crake2.jpg
BerndHuss

Postby BerndHuss » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:27 pm

Thank you, Oscar. I might still have a look. One can never know.
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:55 am

Basically you need to be named 'Oscar' or 'Harry' and you will see them almost every time ;)

(Otherwise it's a challenge hehe)
Roblyn

Postby Roblyn » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:59 am

I always keep an eye out for them whenever I am there, but have never seen them after maybe ten visits (probably too late in the day). However, will report if and when I do. Have you checked out the reedy area at the Staples car park area in Mot? They have been seen and photographed there. Unfortunately I am neither Oscar nor Harry, but I did photograph the needletails on their previous visit to Tasman!
Jim_j

Postby Jim_j » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:44 am

I saw them on a couple of occasions when living in Nelson a few years ago.
The place I saw them was through an entrance gate up Boulderbank drive - turn left - then turn right up the first path - then a few hundred meters on the left in one of the smaller ponds on the left.
I found what I considered looked a "a nice spot for them" and just waited with binos!!
I suspect the level of the water in these areas is important - other times I have looked when the level was higher I was unable to locate any birds.
Both times was mid-morning.

Cheers
jim
BerndHuss

Postby BerndHuss » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:51 pm

So all I need to do is entice either Oscar or Harry to come to Nelson and the Crakes with all jump out of their holes. EASY!
harryhatman

Postby harryhatman » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:42 pm

Ive actually missed the marsh crakes this year at nelson on 4 separate visits to teh WTP and nearly 20 times up and down the country this year so far. However I'd never missed them before that at Nelson WTP in previous years but the water looks too high at the moment so I suspect they are not there or there are not many of them. According to ebird it looks like they haven't been seen since there since winter 2019.

It looks like they were seen at Beacon road this week according to ebird but I missed them there myself.

Cheers all

Harry
FranB

Postby FranB » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:46 am

We saw one 15 April 200m south of Rough Island bridge on west side. Banded Rail was there as well. Saw Rail there several days running and tide seemed important as need to have plenty of mud showing for them to come out for feeding. They stay close to rushes
BerndHuss

Postby BerndHuss » Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:14 pm

FranB wrote:We saw one 15 April 200m south of Rough Island bridge on west side. Banded Rail was there as well. Saw Rail there several days running and tide seemed important as need to have plenty of mud showing for them to come out for feeding. They stay close to rushes

Is this on the left side of the bridge before you cross over towards the beach? I have seen the Rails there once before.

Return to “General Birding Discussion”