Kokako at Pirongia

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Mandyjane

Kokako at Pirongia

Postby Mandyjane » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:47 pm

Hi guys, went to Pirongia and the car park today hoping for a glimpse of a Kokako. Looked around the visitors open shed and it said that Kokako, Kiwi and 2 other species are no longer residents of Pirongia forest due to predation. Is this correct ? I hope not. Only 2 years ago it was touted as the easiest place to see Kokako. Does anyone know ?
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Re: Kokako at Pirongia

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:30 am

The sign is out of date. Kokako and robin have been reintroduced and the former at least are doing well. Kiwi are no longer present.
I guess you didn't hear any kokako?
Mandyjane

Re: Kokako at Pirongia

Postby Mandyjane » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:13 pm

Hi Neil, no we didnt. To be fair it was a bad time of day, and we had very little time.. We have never properly explored the area before, and did not have enough time to do everything. We did manage to spend a fabulous half day at Mount Maungatautari - highlight for me was whitehead which were all over the place. No Kokako, we may, just may, have heard a kiwi.. Great place !

Return to “General Birding Discussion”