Northern Royal Albatross bell tolls in Dunedin

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Weka1

Northern Royal Albatross bell tolls in Dunedin

Postby Weka1 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:38 pm

Royal Albatross Bands BLW Taiaroa Heads 17 9 20 (2).jpg
Royal Albatross Bands BLW Taiaroa Heads 17 9 20 (2).jpg (143.23 KiB) Viewed 837 times
This is not really a birding question, but given the pending 41 'death gun' salute for Prince Phillip, does anyone know how many bell tolls there are given for the first returning Royal Albatross for the new breeding year.
I was at Taiaroa Heads in September 2020 when the first bird was first seen there and took the first photo of the coloured bands - Blue, Lime, White (see photo slightly enhanced to show the bands). A nine year old female if my memory is correct.
My question. A few days later I was in Port Chalmers when the bells were tolled to celebrate the event. I tried to count them, but lost count at around 90.

My presumption is that there were 101 bell tolls - as was given to the King Emperor in India during the British Raj. This is an assumption and my curiosity is piqued.
Does anyone know how many times the bells are rung in Dunedin for the arrival of the first albatross at Taiaroa Heads?
Royal Albatross Bands BLW Taiaroa Heads 17 9 20.jpg
Royal Albatross Bands BLW Taiaroa Heads 17 9 20.jpg (394.84 KiB) Viewed 837 times

Return to “General Birding Discussion”