Risky behaviour

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
sandyw

Risky behaviour

Postby sandyw » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:14 pm

I have seen a number of NZ falcons recently in the South Island. I two cases, single passerines have appeared to deliberately taunt the falcon by getting as close as close as possible. The pics are from Albert Town near Wanaka on 6 April '21. I can't work out what the small birds have to gain from such behaviour other than a type of avian machismo. Any ideas?
DSCN4046.JPG
DSCN4046.JPG (178.17 KiB) Viewed 1120 times
DSCN4040.JPG
DSCN4040.JPG (279.25 KiB) Viewed 1120 times
Brent Stephenson

Re: Risky behaviour

Postby Brent Stephenson » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:20 pm

Falcons mostly hunt by surprise ambush. These birds are very aware of the presence of the falcon, and in some cases may be 'mobbing' it - a behaviour that is meant to let the falcon know that the birds know it is there and make other birds in the area aware of its presence. When mobbing the birds will often be flitting around and calling persistently, often an alarm call. The falcon is not interested in going after these birds in most cases, as it know it has little chance against such a bird.

Cheers,
Brent Stephenson
Wrybill Birding Tours, NZ - Great birds, real birders

Return to “General Birding Discussion”