Yellow-eyed penguins catlins

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
boneywhitefoot

Yellow-eyed penguins catlins

Postby boneywhitefoot » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:13 pm

Hi, I'm hoping to travel through the catlins in the next three weeks.
I am really wanting to see Yellow-eyed penguins at a resonable distance.
Roaring bay is fine if you dont mind seeing them at a hundred meters or more but I would love to get close enough to see them in more detail.
Any place that the birds are used to people?
regenmorterlc

Re: Yellow-eyed penguins catlins

Postby regenmorterlc » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:23 pm

Unfortunately all viewing opportunities of YEPs are from a distance in order minimize any disturbance to the remaining population that has gone through a significant reduction along the southeast coast including the Catlins. Just a reminder that the recommended viewing distance is at least 50 m. I understand YEPs are more likely to abandon a site than become acclimated. If you want a closer view, bring binoculars and/or a spotting scope. The YEP reserve at Katiki Point Lighthouse, Bushy Beach outside of Oamaru, ELM tours Dunedin/Otago Peninsula (private reserve), Penguin Place tour Otago Peninsula (private reserve), Roaring Bay, and Curio Bay (overlook behind the information centre/cafe) all provide opportunities to view YEPs from a distance that will not disturb the birds. Another option is to call Penguin Place and ask which species of penguins are currently housed in their rehabilitation centre. Their tours include a briefs visit to the recovery pens that provide relatively close views. Good luck.
boneywhitefoot

Postby boneywhitefoot » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:30 am

Taa
Davidthomas

Postby Davidthomas » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:41 am

I second Katiki point, Its been fantastic viewing in the past. Difficult to get to eye-level of the birds but certainly the closest views i've had with clearly resting & relaxed birds
boneywhitefoot

Postby boneywhitefoot » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:06 am

Davidthomas wrote:I second Katiki point, Its been fantastic viewing in the past. Difficult to get to eye-level of the birds but certainly the closest views i've had with clearly resting & relaxed birds

Taa David I just want Rosie to see them this trip as it may be her last chance.
zarkov

Postby zarkov » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:04 pm

I called in to Katiki Point a couple of days back.

As you walk down from the lighthouse to the first bay on your left, I saw a Yellow Eyed at the bottom of a muddy slide about 100 metres away, and 4 Blue Penguins outside a little cave down by the high tide mark on the nearest outcrop..

Best place for wildlife I've seen for a while, you could spend a day here np.
boneywhitefoot

Postby boneywhitefoot » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:39 pm

taa
boneywhitefoot

Postby boneywhitefoot » Thu May 20, 2021 12:50 pm

I just want to thank you guys for pointing me to Katiki point.
I have been there five times previously with little joy but this time we hit the jackpot.
Rosie and I had 18 birds come in one afternoon, many of them climbed the cliff right by the fence.
We had a wonderful time not only photographing them but simply sitting in the late afternoon sun enjoying being so close to them while they went about their penguin business.
Last edited by boneywhitefoot on Thu May 20, 2021 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zarkov

Postby zarkov » Thu May 20, 2021 4:16 pm

Good to hear.

I'd never heard of the place and mainly went to look at the lighthouse.

The seals are good too.

Return to “General Birding Discussion”