S I Kokako

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Mandyjane

S I Kokako

Postby Mandyjane » Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:05 pm

I've just seen a fb post and listened to recording of what is said to be a SI Kokako. Posted to Forest & Bird Nelson-Tasman FB page by Bruce Reid. If you find it the sound is hard to hear and way in the background, and is repeated 2 or 3 times. I saw it because it was re-posted by a rarest birds fb page that I am a member of (its interesting :-)). I'm kinda surprised it hasnt surfaced on this page. Thought I'd post in case it has merit.
RussCannings

Re: S I Kokako

Postby RussCannings » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:42 am

Hi Mandy,
Unfortunately it sounds pretty good for kaka to me (one of their many alternate calls). Interested if anyone disagrees though. Given that there are clearly kaka throughout the recording, that would be the first species one would want to eliminate l.

Russ
Finn Davey

Postby Finn Davey » Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:05 pm

I could hear it.

It does sound vaguely Kokako like, but I could also hear what could be Bellbirds or Tui (or both).
It could just be a call from a Tui in the distance.
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:46 am

Cheers Finn. We all know how variable Tui and Bellbird can be so definitely possible.

Having said that, I have heard kaka make this exact noise in several North Island locations (eg Whirinaki Forest). It's almost a 'sub-song'-type call as they seem to do it for their own amusement as if chatting to themselves (my view anyway). While most kaka calls are loud and audible at great distances, this drawn out low whistle (often ending with watery plopping sound which hard to hear unless you're right under the bird) is softer and seemingly more casual/conversational. Reminds me of the watery notes ravens in Canada make when chatting to themselves. I am no kaka expert so others may have more insight on it.

I can't obviously guarantee that this is a kaka in the recording but it would also be fairly likely given that multiple kakas are giving more recognizable calls at the same location.

Would prefer SI Kokako of course!

Russ
sav

Postby sav » Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:51 pm

Hi all,

I'm with Russ on this. To my ears it sounds like a Kaka, though I'd love it to be a SI Kokako. I don't think the $10,000 is going anywhere soon...........

cheers
Sav Saville
Wrybill Birding Tours, NZ
Great Birds, Real Birders
tim

Postby tim » Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:28 pm

Yes no way thats Kokako, 100% kaka
Tim Rumble
simon.fordham

Postby simon.fordham » Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:55 pm

There is something curious in there.

Here is the recording on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=JnO6bwaQLYk&fbclid=IwAR2vA_-URu5uulncwGgMU3kFUiI1PUDMKPBNQ15vDFGt6ZnMGt8ov8ydBL8

In addition to the obvious kaka and robin, there is that faint, monotonous, drawn-out call at 6 seconds (just as he says 'that'), repeated at 18 seconds.

You do need the volume turned right up to hear it.

To me, it sounds too pure for kaka.
sm1979

Postby sm1979 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:58 pm

I agree with you Simon. There is kaka there but the flute like hollow note.....that's v much like kokako. "Like a blowing across the top of an empty whisky bottle".
Let's hope someone sees the bird calling.
AND gets a picture!
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:49 pm

Hi guys,

Just to be clear, that's the specific call I was referring to in my response.

Russ
fras444

Postby fras444 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:12 am

One thing we must do!!!
We must live in absolute hope that somewhere in the depths of those gorges and the most impenetrable of places... That there is a population of SI Kokako hanging on by the thread and much like the long lost for over a century 'NZ stormwater Petrel' and that we should never give up hope nor discredit to the point of anything discouraging or labeling someone as a "crazy" and the importance that we keep up with the dropping of 1080 to keep mammal predator's at bay in areas that would wipe out any thought of a surviving population or pair...

A good friend of mine who works in the Kakapo recovery... One of the biggest lost/the biggest regret for all of those in that program...
During the 60's,70s, 80s and possibly the very early 90s (anything up to 100 odd years Kakapo could live for...) When Kakapo still persisted on the Westcoast, Stewart and Fiordland
Those experts who didn't listen or follow up sightings by farmers, land owners, trampers, hunters and the like on the Westcoast, Stewart and Fiordland, almost to the point of farmers, land owners and the like (especially the 70s/80s mentality) who were fearful for sounding "crazy" thinking that they might have seen or heard a kokako and being instantly dismissed or simply not speaking out....
That very real potential of finding more birds and deeply missing out on that incredibly significantly important genetic diversity to a already declining bottleneck population, lost forever!!!

Let's not make that same mistake and have hope and faith that there are a pair or two of SI Kokako somewhere and really not be dismissive to the point of fear for speaking out... Once the SI Kokako is on that official extinction list.... That's it...

also.... Hypothetically.... Something that must be discussed....

If there was a pair or a very small number of SI Kokako found.... What next for the survival of the species if there is only a genetic pool of a handful of birds... What can we realistically do.... Be it inbreeding (using the Black Robin as a case study) and capture for captive breeding program/risk of a death due to stress vs the risk of losing a whole population due to a mast and DNA banking for a futuristic world where we can bring back extinct species through re-creating (Jurassic Park)

Return to “General Birding Discussion”