New Book - FEATS BEYOND AMAZING - The Life Story of a Bar-tailed Godwit

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Paul Gibson

New Book - FEATS BEYOND AMAZING - The Life Story of a Bar-tailed Godwit

Postby Paul Gibson » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:18 pm

This week we released a new book - FEATS BEYOND AMAZING The Life Story of a Bar-tailed Godwit. A fascinating story, highly illustrated, of my 13-year relationship with one special bird, and all I have learned about him. See our website for further details - http://www.upics.co.nz.
A book uniquely different from anything else ever published, and based right here in NZ.

AJD Book Cover a.jpg
AJD Book Cover a.jpg (265.67 KiB) Viewed 1134 times
Paul Gibson

Re: New Book - FEATS BEYOND AMAZING - The Life Story of a Bar-tailed Godwit

Postby Paul Gibson » Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:01 pm

Very exciting this afternoon to find that AJD is back home in Whanganui, his summer home for the last 14 years. With binoculars I spotted a flagged bird, and the excitement mounted. The bird was constantly on the move, as were the other godwits in the small group. I tried and tried to get near, and eventually, at around 4 pm, I managed to worm myself across the mud for some good close shots. The tide was still well out. One thing I can confirm, that, despite his old age, he has no joint problems as he can run as fast as when he was young. He has been at Foxton, as I photographed him there on 7 October 2022. He usually has not arrived in Whanganui until early December, but, last year he arrived on October 30, after a likely difficult migration, and did not go to Foxton at all. He may have been here a couple of days as I have not done a complete scan of the birds since Monday. We expect him to remain here, until his next migration north, around or on 25 March 2023.
AJD 2 Oct 2022 a.jpg
AJD 2 Oct 2022 a.jpg (216.75 KiB) Viewed 565 times

Return to “General Birding Discussion”