Birding and Seawatching Spots around Akaroa and Banks Penisula

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Samsperdy

Birding and Seawatching Spots around Akaroa and Banks Penisula

Postby Samsperdy » Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:30 pm

Hi everyone,
My family and I are travelling to Akaroa for the long weekend. I am not planning to go on any tours but still want to go birdwatching. A few of the spots that I have researched are Hinewai Reserve, Flea Bay and Akaroa head. Was wondering if these places are any good and if there are any others that might be good to go to. I was also thinking of trying to do some seawatching and would like some tips.
Thanks,
Sam
FraserGurney

Re: Birding and Seawatching Spots around Akaroa and Banks Penisula

Postby FraserGurney » Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:34 pm

Hi Sam,

Hinewai is a great spot and has good birds for the area like tomtit and brown creeper, plus it has a really interesting restoration history. The Brocheries Road entrance has some nice old beech forest and Long Bay Road entrance has the regrowth. Nearby Misty Peaks Reserve is a decent spot to see falcon too. Around Akaroa itself (particularly the top end of Smith Street) is probably the best place to see tui close to Christchurch.

Akaroa Head can be good for seawatching but you really need a good Southerly wind + a decent spotting scope, although a couple of species of albatross and northern giant petrel come in quite close to the headland. The road is ok for a 2WD but the last couple of hundred metres is walking access only.

There's a little blue penguin colony at Flea Bay but I think it's mostly on private land and there may be some issues with access there. Others may know more.

Cheers,
Fraser
andrewcrossland

Postby andrewcrossland » Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:23 pm

Other good sea watching spots are the headland between tumbledown and te oka bays (also good for southern right whales if you strike it right), the beach at Goighs Bay, Goat Point (access permission required), the beach at Goighs Bay), Long lookout point,the Godley head gun emplacements, and sometimes the cliffs at a Scarborough.
Cheers
Davidthomas

Postby Davidthomas » Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:49 am

Another good spot for a nice walk, view and good birdlife is Otepatotu reserve on the crater rim not far from LeBons bay. Has Brown creeper, rifleman and some really nice old growth Mountain Totara goblin forest. Is about 30mins up to the lookout.
HannahL

Postby HannahL » Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:20 am

Keen to find out what species can be seen from Godley Head and cliffs at Scarborough? Have binoculars

Return to “General Birding Discussion”