Fish Eating Seabirds

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
ourspot

Fish Eating Seabirds

Postby ourspot » Mon May 23, 2022 10:15 am

When we were out at the Poor Knights Islands on yesterday’s Tutukaka pelagic seabird trip out to The Petrel Station (in northern NZ), we saw a couple of not fully fledged Buller’s Shearwaters in the water by the islands. With the parents already migrated north these were probably left behind to defend for themselves but were just a bit too young to fly fully (they still had fluffy heads). As we were watching the birds suddenly a massive Scorpion Fish (aka Grand Daddy Hapuka) came up from below to try and eat it!

Has anyone seen other instances of fish / sharks trying to take out seabirds in NZ? I've seen that video of the Giant Trevally in the tropics leaping out of the water to take out noddies.

Cheers
Scott
Buller's Shearwater being eaten_TPST_May22_Scott Brooks_LR_DSC_5815.jpg
Buller's Shearwater being eaten_TPST_May22_Scott Brooks_LR_DSC_5815.jpg (800.22 KiB) Viewed 664 times
Pat Miller

Re: Fish Eating Seabirds

Postby Pat Miller » Tue May 24, 2022 6:24 pm

Not a fish Scott, but another marine creature. Many years ago on Great Barrier Island, my wife and I found an octopus in a rock pool on the rock platform at the southern end of Medlands Beach eating a brown teal.

Return to “General Birding Discussion”