Auckland Birding spots (REACHABLE THROUGH PUBLIC TRANSPORT)

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
paradoxdinokipi

Auckland Birding spots (REACHABLE THROUGH PUBLIC TRANSPORT)

Postby paradoxdinokipi » Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:04 am

Hi, I'm still a minor so can't really drive to any of the good birding spots far out the way to bird/nature watch, so could I please get some recommendations on good sites I can visit which are accessible by public transport/AT? (Already know about Mangere, and are the brown teal there countable? and any tips on finding them?).
Ian McLean

Re: Auckland Birding spots (REACHABLE THROUGH PUBLIC TRANSPORT)

Postby Ian McLean » Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:38 pm

Hi there
Some good birding spots that have both an interesting selection of species & are accessible by public transport are as follows:-

(1) Waiatarua Wetlands in Remuera. Accessible by buses along Abbott's Way, Grand Drive & Remuera Road. Species include: kahu/swamp harrier, pateke/brown teal, Australasian shoveler, grey teal & there are often pure parera/grey duck. Spotless crake can often be heard & occasionally seen in quiet spots near the Remuera Golf Course, whilst shining cuckoo are common in spring & summer.

(2) Mangarei Wetlands in Stonefields. This is a 2km walk from Waiataru Wetlands & you could combine the two. Species present include NZ dabchick, NZ Scaup & Eurasian coot.

(3) Orakei Basin. Take the train to Orakei or Meadowbank stations. Royal spoonbill & various shag species are seen there. The nearby Purewa Creek looks good for banded rail although I have not seen any there myself.

(4) Rangitoto Island. Take the Fullers Ferry there for a day trip. It is much cheaper than Tiritiri Matangi Island, although it does not have the same array of species. Species include: bellbird, tieke/North Island saddleback, red crowned kakariki, whitehead, reef heron, banded rail & northern NZ dotterel. Very interestingly there is a tiny population of miromiro/North Island tomtit near the summit. This is a species seldom seen on Tiritiri & you would normally have to go to the Waitakeres, Hunua or Tawharanui to see them.

Just FYI: Birds New Zealand have a guided bird walk at Ambury Park on Sunday 17 July at 1.00pm if you are keen to attend. https://www.facebook.com/groups/birdsau ... 4055763024

Cheers
Ian
Oscar Thomas

Postby Oscar Thomas » Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:55 pm

Also, pateke/brown teal are countable anywhere in Auckland - they have been translocated to Tiritiri Matangi, Motutapu and Rotoroa Islands, Te Henga Wetland, and Tawharanui Regional Park, and travel from these populations to parks all over Auckland including Mangere where they can be seen in the canal along Island Rd and in the storage basin at the end. I saw 4 there with Ian back in May but if you have a look at eBird there are some much more handy to Auckland itself: https://ebird.org/atlasnz/map/brotea1
paradoxdinokipi

Postby paradoxdinokipi » Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:30 pm

Did not know that they would disperse that far, always had the impression of them as shy sulking forest birds, I assume this is the same situation for kaka around Auckland? And would you say their appearance at Mangere has anything to do with seasonality/weather/time of day? Or just plain old luck as I've tried quite a few times by now. Also thanks for the spots, anywhere else although?
Oscar Thomas

Postby Oscar Thomas » Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:36 am

They are shy and mostly nocturnal, but good dispersers like other ducks. Kaka on the other hand have not been translocated anywhere in Auckland (to my knowledge) so all birds you see are of proper 'wild' origin if that's your concern, they visit the mainland from Hauturu/Little Barrier and Aotea/Great Barrier with increasing regularity, and have settled at Tawharanui, Waiheke and Hunua. Looking at the occurence bar chart on eBird (https://ebird.org/atlasnz/species/brotea1/NZ-AUK-008) , you are more likely to encounter pateke at Mangere in summer:
Screenshot 2022-07-15 103147.png
Screenshot 2022-07-15 103147.png (7.77 KiB) Viewed 1280 times
Michael Szabo

Postby Michael Szabo » Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:32 pm

Also try going onto eBird NZ and searching the Auckland hotspots.
'New Zealand Birders' Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/857726274293085
paradoxdinokipi

Postby paradoxdinokipi » Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:30 am

Alright, thanks so much!
paradoxdinokipi

Postby paradoxdinokipi » Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:14 pm

Hi all, went to Rangitoto on Sunday and Mangere today,
just wondering I saw a huge flock of really small grey shorbs, quite far on one of the sand banks which were smaller than dotterel, but literally resembled a grey blur, that would be wyrbill, right? And there shouldn't be any pipits/any bird easily mistakable for skylark occuring around Mangere right? If so that'd be two lifers : D
Oscar Thomas

Postby Oscar Thomas » Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:00 pm

Yep, if you check eBird you will see that Wrybill and Skylark are regulars at Mangere. Pipit have been recorded there too but less frequently, they have a less varied song than Skylarks and wag their tail when they walk.

Return to “General Birding Discussion”