any educated guesses on numbers of Spotted Shag on Stewart Island and Fiordland?

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
andrewcrossland

any educated guesses on numbers of Spotted Shag on Stewart Island and Fiordland?

Postby andrewcrossland » Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:58 pm

Hi team, these are two other black holes. I've seen reasonable numbers of Spotted Shags around Stewart land and outliers and would guess there's maybe 500 breeding pairs. Can anyone offer a more educated guess or point me to a census figure?

And again for Fiordland - can anyone with local knowledge suggest a educated guestimate?

And by-the-way, there's records of Spotted Shags in lakes and waterways i western and central Southland that surely can't be right?

Many thanks for any information.
Peter R

Re: any educated guesses on numbers of Spotted Shag on Stewart Island and Fiordland?

Postby Peter R » Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:17 am

I put in an e-bird record for a Spotted Shag for Lake Hayes near Queenstown a couple of years ago that I will guarantee is correct
Jan

Re: any educated guesses on numbers of Spotted Shag on Stewart Island and Fiordland?

Postby Jan » Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:57 pm

i went on a Heritage Expedition in feb 2021, [ i think], to Fiordland and Stewart is. there were a lot of Spotties on an island in one of the bays, but my zodiac driver wouldn't oblige with a closer look and I don't think these trips are very suitable for birders, any longer. Unless they go back to having birdlists every day, as Rodney Russ used to do, the bird counts on these trips are useless. On my trip, the Antarctic Terns at the Snares were called White-fronted ts. Really disapointed [sp] with that trip.
Colin Miskelly

Postby Colin Miskelly » Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:52 pm

Kia ora Andrew

All the spotted shags that we found on 217 Fiordland islands between 2016 and 2020 are in eBird (including breeding records)

Ngā mihi
Colin
Phil Rhodes

Postby Phil Rhodes » Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:08 pm

Hi Andrew Pete McClelland reported a juvenile spotted shag at the Wairaki bridge in Western Southland back in 2015 so they do turn up in more central parts of Southland.

Return to “General Birding Discussion”