Reef Heron

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Wrybill

Reef Heron

Postby Wrybill » Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:09 pm

Is it common to see reef heron away from shore 500 meter + inland as I have seen one fly over our House 700 Meter from Otaki Beach
Is this common or not

And Has Anyone seen Them More than a Few Kms inland

Wrybill
Saul
128 Species on my life-list, Latest Lifer Pectoral Sandpiper, Hokio Stream
SomesBirder

Re: Reef Heron

Postby SomesBirder » Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:43 pm

I recall reading that there is an old record of two Reef Heron that were seen at Lake Taupō.
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:43 am

I wouldn't say it's "common" as anecdotally it seems quite rare in NZ. Once I saw one near the Kaituna River mouth fly up river (though I don't know how far it went), and also had one fly north over the Kopu Bridge south of Thames (i.e. Coming from upstream). I imagine a few patrol the tidal fringes of coastal rivers inland a ways, though obviously they tend to stick to the estuaries and coastal rocks in most cases. Depending on your definition of 'inland', they're on large estuaries like Ohiwa and Kawhia where they can be frequently seen 8+ km 'inland' from the proper ocean beach.

In Samoa, where they're much more numerous, they seem to be commonly seen inland fishing in streams and rivers.

Russ
Wrybill

Postby Wrybill » Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:07 pm

Thanks Guys.
128 Species on my life-list, Latest Lifer Pectoral Sandpiper, Hokio Stream

Return to “General Birding Discussion”