Good kea (and other birds) spots within a few hours of Wanaka?

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Oskar

Good kea (and other birds) spots within a few hours of Wanaka?

Postby Oskar » Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:58 am

Hi all,

I'm in Wanaka for a week. My main birding goal is to get some photos of kea. I know that skifield carparks are good, but are there any other more natural areas where I might find them? I've checked ebird but am not sure if some areas might be more reliable than others.

Also would be interested to hear about other good spots. I will try to see the crested grebes in the lake and maybe the yellowheads around the Haast Pass parking.

Willing to drive a few hours and walk a lot.

Thanks!
David Riddell

Re: Good kea (and other birds) spots within a few hours of Wanaka?

Postby David Riddell » Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:36 am

If you're heading towards Haast Pass then it's well worth stopping at the Blue Pools. There were very good numbers of yellowheads when I was there, a small flock crossed the path in front of me at knee height. Plenty of other bush birds as well.
Oskar

Re: Good kea (and other birds) spots within a few hours of Wanaka?

Postby Oskar » Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:18 pm

Thanks David. We went to blue pools and the haast pass lookout today. Unfortunately no yellow crowned kakariki and no kea (except 1 or 2 heard in the distance).

Blue pools:
1 New Zealand Pigeon
6 Rifleman
3 Bellbird
12 Grey Warbler
1 Yellowhead (Mohua)
1 Brown Creeper
5 New Zealand Fantail
8 Tomtit/Snares Tomtit

Mount Aspiring NP -- Haast Pass Walk
1 Kea -- Heard calling down the valley
9 Rifleman