Lake Rotokare, Taranaki

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Nakilad

Lake Rotokare, Taranaki

Postby Nakilad » Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:45 pm

My wife and I revisited Lake Rotokare this week. Wow! What an absolute gem of Taranaki this place has become. Shortly after starting the track we were tripping over hihi and being deafened by tieke. The hihi weren't confined to the feeders either, but scattered through the bush. We watched flocks of whitehead work their way through the trees next to the track and at eye level. Along the edges of the lake we heard plenty of fernbird heard as well. Returning to the carpark we saw a couple of the recently released pateke.

In a patch of grass a couple of metres from the track we observed a fernbird creeping it's way along feeding. It ignored us while we stood there watching and videoing. In fact, when I took a step toward it to get a closer look it paid no attention. Watching it work it's way through the grass it moved just like a mouse would. Presumably it's evolved to fill the same kind of niche. Here's a link to the video on my Youtube page https://youtu.be/FXaR9AeCvr8. It's taken with a mobile phone, but some people might find it interesting to watch. (apologies for it being in portrait orientation).

Next time you're in Taranaki set aside at least a couple of hours to visit this gem. You can even camp there for a few nights.
Vaughan Turner
Birding Remotely
RussCannings

Re: Lake Rotokare, Taranaki

Postby RussCannings » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:02 am

Here here! Couldn't agree more.

Russ
Oscar Thomas

Postby Oscar Thomas » Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:36 am

Fun fact, this is the only fenced ecosanctuary in New Zealand that is free of mice.
Jan

Postby Jan » Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:16 am

There was a fieldtrip to this site when I first became Canterbury's RR, in 2007, I think it was. During the AGM in New Plymouth. Even then it had robins reintroduced, and a brilliant fence system - I recall being very impressed and I still am.
Threeps

Postby Threeps » Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:55 am

Couldn't agree more, Vaughan. The team at Rotokare have done a superb job.

I camped there over night on the last Bird Bird day and heard numerous NI Brown Kiwi and Ruru. Peter Fryer and I were also fortunate to spot a kiwi on the track close to the pontoon - it just scooted along the track on front of us for 15-20 metres before disappearing into the bush at the side.
Steve Purdon

No te whenua mo nga Kotimana ahau.

Return to “General Birding Discussion”