Self driving birding tour three weeks in February

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
miscatonic

Self driving birding tour three weeks in February

Postby miscatonic » Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:13 am

I thought it would be best to ask the experts. :)

Me and my wife are planning a three weeks self driving trip starting the 18th of February. It will mostly be birding, but I guess we will pass hobbiton and some other stuff as well...

The plan is to start from Auckland, drive and fly home from Queenstown.

I have never seen any bird from New Zealand and my "The Field Guide to the Birds of New Zealand" will take a while to arrive.

What should I not miss in my too short effort to see as much as possible? Any tips?

/Kai, Sweden
lloydesler

Re: Self driving birding tour three weeks in February

Postby lloydesler » Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:48 am

My brochure Birds and Native Mammals of New Zealand is widely used by schools, and tour groups use it as a tick list for patrons interested in getting a snapshot of our birdlife. All the land and freshwater birds plus seals and bats. They are $4 plus postage. Much cheaper option than finding a book which is only used for a week or two, takes up very little room, and printed on folding card. email esler@southnet.co.nz
Michael Szabo

Postby Michael Szabo » Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:00 pm

Definitely book to visit Tiritiri Matangi Island near Auckland where many interesting native bird species are quite easy to see that are usually hard to see elsewhere.

There is also a good site for wading birds at Miranda about an hour south of Auckland on the Firth of Thames coast.

Wellington is usually quite a good place to see New Zealand Falcons, either at the Otari-Wilton's Bush Reserve or the 'Zealandia Ecosanctuary'.

It is also worth booking a seabird-watching trip while you are in NZ if you can to see albatrosses and various other cool seabirds. 'Albatross Encounter' in Kaikoura does 3 hour trips during the 'tourist' season.

Good luck.
'New Zealand Birders' Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/857726274293085
miscatonic

Postby miscatonic » Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:25 am

Thanks for the tips Michael, I will try to fit those places in to the itinerary.
Esler: sorry, already bought the book.

Return to “General Birding Discussion”