West coast south island sites advise please

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
wendyb

West coast south island sites advise please

Postby wendyb » Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:59 pm

Hi all, I've been MIA for a few years doing business, Covid survival and boring stuff.

I am able to do some bird photography again which I love. Unfortunately I have mobility issues and cant walk too far.

We travel around in a converted bus which is good fun and are now based in Christchurch.

We are currently at Karamea, top of the west coast, and I wondered if any of you knew the area and some good places to find birds to photograph.

I did manage to find some Bar Tailed Godwits at Greymouth and some Pied Stilts.

Any hints and advice, very welcome. We have found our way to the estuary, huge area before any water or mud flats, long walking track which I cant do, but are going around to carpark 2 to have a look.

Thanks
Wendy
FraserGurney

Re: West coast south island sites advise please

Postby FraserGurney » Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:18 pm

Hi Wendy, I have found the best access to the estuary is off Estuary Road, best on a falling tide a couple of hours after high tide.

Oparara Basin is a great place for whio, kea and kaka, as well as the other more common bush birds. There is a short loop at the start of the Heaphy which has lovely Nikau palms and sometimes blue whio and kaka.

Lots of wetlands and paddocks in the general area too which are worth checking for herons and bittern.

Hope this helps,
Fraser

Return to “General Birding Discussion”