Finding Rock Wren in Otira Valley

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
BerndHuss

Finding Rock Wren in Otira Valley

Postby BerndHuss » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:51 am

Next Sunday I have a day available in Christchurch and I intend driving to Arthur's Pass to try my luck finding Rock Wrens. Apparently the Otira Valley would be my best bet to get lucky. This is a one of opportunity for me to explore the area, so I would appreciate very much any advice where exactly to look or even if there are any other good spots en route. Thanks!
NoahF

Re: Finding Rock Wren in Otira Valley

Postby NoahF » Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:57 pm

Hi Bernd,

Otira Valley is known to be a relatively reliable location for Rock Wren. From my experience, I have encountered pairs of Rock Wren only from the upper valley area, which is about an ~hour hike depending on fitness levels. To get to this location (known as the "rock garden") follow the track from the carpark past the bridge and continue onwards through a "pinch" area where the track gets relatively close to the Otira river. At this point, the track heads up and then flattens out, opening out to a herb-field area with very large boulders. Have a look around this area and listen out for Rock Wren calls. I've only seen 1 pair here at one time, but there are likely many more in the area. Also make sure to keep your eyes out along the track as Rock Wren have been spotted well before the boulder garden area (I believe a long time ago they could be seen at the carpark, but they apparently have been seen at the bridge). Never been further than the rock garden but keen to one day. Keep an eye on the forecast as it can be unpredictable up there and keep an eye out for other birds -- Redpoll, Silvereye and Dunnock are common, I've also seen Kea and Brown Creeper. Keep an eye out for Falcon, Whio, Weka, Fernbird, you never know!

Best of luck,
Noah
BerndHuss

Postby BerndHuss » Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:10 pm

Thank you Noah,

I will take all of this into consideration. I've read that by March the likelihood of seeing them is quite small. I hope I am not wasting my time.
NoahF

Postby NoahF » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:37 pm

I've seen them there in early April. So I would say not a waste of time.
AlfieB77

Postby AlfieB77 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:42 pm

Would anyone know how easy they would be to find in mid October? (Around Arthur’s pass)
131 birds on my NZ life list, latest bird Cattle Egret
Wrybill

Postby Wrybill » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:10 am

Hi Alfie there are eBird Records for the area in August-November and are Mostly Up the valley.
Link - https://ebird.org/map/soiwre1?neg=true& ... axY=-39.57

See Screenshot below
Screenshot 2023-03-20 9.08.28 AM.png
Rock Wren Arthurs Pass, Otira Valley
Screenshot 2023-03-20 9.08.28 AM.png (718.21 KiB) Viewed 1301 times
128 Species on my life-list, Latest Lifer Pectoral Sandpiper, Hokio Stream
David Riddell

Postby David Riddell » Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:27 am

The only trick with the Otira Valley in October is there might be a risk of avalanches, would pay to check conditions before heading up.
Davidthomas

Postby Davidthomas » Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:05 am

Definitely a risk of avalanches up the Otira in October depending on conditions. And the only birds I know of recently have been being seen up at the rock garden approximately another hour beyond the bridge.

Return to “General Birding Discussion”