Kakariki rosella hybrid

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
SomesBirder

Kakariki rosella hybrid

Postby SomesBirder » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:25 pm

Steps wrote:And those ' innocent' Rosella the hindrance they do to our native parrot/ bird population breeding.. espec combined with a total lack of mature native forest providing enough spots for just out native population.

They hybridize with them, too. I saw an Eastern Rosella/Red-crowned Parakeet 'mule' hybrid at Somes Island a while ago.
Clinton9

Re: Galahs Mangatawhiri

Postby Clinton9 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:40 pm

SomesBirder,
Are you really sure ??? I never known Australian rosellas to hybridize with NZ Red crowned parakeet.

Last night I found the photo of a green-headed hybrid Mallard X Ruddy shelduck...Yes, mallard will hybridize with Paradise shelduck.
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:03 pm

A photo of that rosellakeet would be very interesting. I've never heard of such a hybrid. Could be worth writing up if you could gather more evidence of its parentage.
Steps

Postby Steps » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:01 pm

They hybridize with them, too. I saw an Eastern Rosella/Red-crowned Parakeet 'mule' hybrid at Somes Island a while ago.

Thats interesting...
The only other instance I have ever heard of was a breeder in the UK some 10 years ago claiming with photos of hybridizing kakariki and Eastern Rosella....he claimed they did so naturally.
Personally and the opinion is also held by leading kakariki breede4rs in The Netherlands, Belgium and Australia that to do so would entailing force breeding... an opinion I still maintain, based on close observation over many years.
Althu we obtained photos taken over a period of time of both parents and chicks to adulthood, a any questions and queries we (breeders above, and myself) made where never replied to.
Such an event withing the breeding world is of huge interest....as the case of the blue mutaion RC kakariki, now successfully breed in Europe, and the red , red crown kakariki .....Both of which have now been substantiated in resent months.
The original 'blue ' I observed in Aussie some years ago but believe that was due to diet or poor health issues... it died not long after and the breeder disappeared ....

Kakariki at best are quite fussy when it comes to choosing a mate, both the male and female... but once paired up they breed like rabbits.

Im sure I have the pics of the engilish hybrid on an old hard drive from an old computer here somewhere.
http://www.kakariki.net
My Spelling is NOT incorrect, it's Creative
Jan

Postby Jan » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:56 am

Are there any Eastern Rosella in the Somes Island vicinity?
Olwen

Postby Olwen » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:33 am

It wouldn't be surprising to see Eastern Rosellas on Somes Is - We get them frequently in South Wellington and they're pretty numerous up the Hutt Valley.
SomesBirder

Postby SomesBirder » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:20 pm

Unfortunately, this blurry shot from behind is all I got of the Eastern Rosella x Red-crowned Parakeet hybrid, which I saw last year.
Patchy yellow-green and red can be seen on the body, and blue can be seen on the wing. The tail feathers look to be reminiscent of the parakeet parent.
On one of my later visits to the island, I asked a ranger about it, and he was aware of its existence on the island. It has apparently been banded, and is an Eastern Rosella x Red-crowned Parakeet hybrid.
If I remember correctly, its body shape was more like that of the rosella parent, and its head was red-orange.
I was shocked when I first saw it. If I had had a better camera at the time, I probably would have taken a better photograph of it.
Eastern Rosellas are not known to be residents at Somes Island.
Red-crowned Parakeets have a population of about one hundred birds at Somes Island.
Hybridization is not likely to be a threat to the parakeets of Somes. Falcons, which are occasional visitors to the island, are known to predate on the parakeets there.
Resized somes strange parrot.jpg
Resized somes strange parrot.jpg (117.22 KiB) Viewed 4352 times
Steps

Postby Steps » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:37 am

Would the 'kakarella' be fertile...like crossing a donkey and horse to a mule is infertile?

Found some of the picks of the UK hybrid.
kakarella2.jpg
kakarella2.jpg (32.25 KiB) Viewed 4334 times
kakarella1.jpg
kakarella1.jpg (24.56 KiB) Viewed 4334 times
kakarella.jpg
kakarella.jpg (11.15 KiB) Viewed 4334 times
http://www.kakariki.net
My Spelling is NOT incorrect, it's Creative
David Riddell

Postby David Riddell » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:58 am

Just a thought, I wonder if this Somes Island bird could be a last genetic remnant of the crimson rosellas that used to be around Wellington? A crimson/eastern hybrid sounds more likely than a rosella/kakariki, and it seems to have quite a lot of red feathering towards its rear end. The last of the crimson rosellas was probably fairly desperate for mates. On what basis did the ranger say it was a rosella/kakariki hybrid? That UK bird looks very different.
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Re: Kakariki rosella hybrid

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:12 am

I have split this off from the galah thread as it has become a completely different topic.

Return to “General Birding Discussion”