Unknown Bird Sound (At Night)

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Thegingerninja

Re: Unknown Bird Sound (At Night)

Postby Thegingerninja » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:01 pm

Thanks Rob and Oscar

I heard a similar noise at night in Karori and was trying to figure out what it was for the last few days. Even thought we may have a kiwi about. We are near the green belt but that would seem super unlikely.

There are a lot of morepork around my place at the moment and so this makes sense. The call was exactly like the one rob recorded.

Mystery solved. Never knew that the morepork had a wider range of calls outside the classic.

Cheers
tangochilli

Postby tangochilli » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:05 am

2am and googling loud peircing bird noise at night. Sounds like "Eow" - might partner says must be a cat. Not a cat. Morepork are in my area. Thanks guys. Driving me crazy wondering what it is
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:34 am

Morepork make a call like that.
bizzar

Postby bizzar » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:13 pm

I live alongside a stream and there are Pukeko here in the nth Waikatio region. There are ear piercing screeches at night. My friends say birds don't make sound at night but I think this noise is from a bird. Sometimes it sounds like the creature is being attacked. The recorded Pukeko sound is different. There is an Australian grey/white bird here that makes dreadfull gaggle-screeches and they chorus together. It is roughly pigeon sized. I need to look up its name .. begins with P. Do they screech at night?
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:40 pm

bizzar wrote:My friends say birds don't make sound at night

I think your friend needs to get out a little more ;) Some birds only make sound at night, and others don't care what time of the day or night it is.
The other ("Australian", but actually a New Zealand native too now) bird you are thinking of is probably spur-winged plover. And yes, they'll call at night too.
The Sparky

Postby The Sparky » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:17 pm

That is definitely a morepork/ruru.

They make a few noises, one of which is your eow.
The make a prrreeeettt noise, the familiar morepork sound they are nicknamed after, and will sit for minutes at a time making a bubbly walk-walk-walk-walk
The preeeet is the female, and the peow, eow is the male
5haun

Postby 5haun » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:37 pm

I found this thread while trying to identify a bird that's been calling at night around my Pukekohe home for the last 6 weeks. So I just registered here to see if anyone can help me. I spent my childhood in England and my first thought was that it was an owl but checking into what owls are here I'm not sure. It only calls at night, from about 10pm. The latest I've heard it is 4am. It calls on the wing and when it's been close I've tried to shine my torch at it but it shuts up instantly and I've not spotted it.

I'm a nature lover and can recognise most birds by their calls but I've not heard this one before, at least not in the last 30 years. There are moreporks around and I've heard their various calls and this doesn't sound like one of them.

I've recorded it on my phone but don't know how or where to host it. I'd love to know what it is.
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:21 pm

You can attach sound recordings to messages here. Just hit the Post Reply button and look for attachments.
5haun

Postby 5haun » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:42 pm

Neil Fitzgerald wrote:You can attach sound recordings to messages here. Just hit the Post Reply button and look for attachments.

Thanks for that. I'll do that then, hopefully someone can help.

Cheers,
Shaun.

Nightbird.mp3 [ 468.57 KiB | Viewed 3325 times ]

Davidthomas

Postby Davidthomas » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:55 am

Hi Shaun. You’re listening to a Pukeko calling at night :)

Return to “General Birding Discussion”