Karepiro Bay Okura-Long Bay Marine Reserve

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Davidthomas

Re: Karepiro Bay Okura-Long Bay Marine Reserve

Postby Davidthomas » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:04 pm

That and the low survival rates of chicks/nests. They have very low rates of fledging across most of their habitat due to idiots with dogs who let them run unrestrained amongst their nests and eat their eggs/chicks. As well as lack of suitable habitat due to beach erosion/development. They are however recovering thanks to volunteer efforts, going from like 800 or so in the 90's to over 1500 (perhaps even 2000?) in the last census.
Ian Southey

Postby Ian Southey » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:53 pm

Loose use of the term "endangered" has it made it all but meaningless.

I presume you are referring just to Northern New Zealand Dotterels and if you look them up you will find the appropriate phrase nowadays is "Nationally Vulnerable" and the qualifiers that go with it signify "1000-5000 mature individuals, stable population", "Conservation Dependent" and "Increasing"

With some general knowledge it may be reasonable to translate it like this - given Northern New Zealand Dotterels are relatively restricted in range, with those sort of numbers you may well find them "everywhere" if you live in or visit the right places within that range but it is only due to a hell of a lot of hard work and support from the people around them as noted above.

Ian
SomesBirder

Postby SomesBirder » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:57 am

Ian Southey wrote:Loose use of the term "endangered" has it made it all but meaningless.

I remember that at least one news article about the Peka Peka Emperor Penguin called Emperor Penguins an endangered species.
Case in point, I suppose.
Davidthomas

Postby Davidthomas » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:32 am

SomesBirder wrote:
Ian Southey wrote:Loose use of the term "endangered" has it made it all but meaningless.

I remember that at least one news article about the Peka Peka Emperor Penguin called Emperor Penguins an endangered species.
Case in point, I suppose.

I should also add that it probably doesnt help that New Zealand has its own threat criteria that differ from the internationally accepted IUCN ratings. i.e. Nationally Critical etc
zarkov

Postby zarkov » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:25 pm

31 Dotterels at Karepiro Bay this morning.

Since there were only 2/3 pairs there at the start of summer, I assume most are refugees from the storm last weekend.

Also, approx 50 Oyster Catchers.
phil hammond

Postby phil hammond » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:03 pm

Hi zarkov

I have just seen your posting about 31 NZ Dott's. At this time of year these guys form post-breeding flocks and that is a more likely explanation for that flock than a storm event
zarkov

Postby zarkov » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:02 pm

Yesterday there were about 15 pied stilts, 10 sipo, 10 pied oystercatchers, 2 dotterals, and 2 godwits on the foreshore.
zarkov

Postby zarkov » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:58 pm

60 Pied Oyster catchers and about the same number of Godwits there on Sunday.

Also, crowds of people, joggers etc.

And of course, being Auckland, one couple with their large dog running loose.

What is it about NZ dog owners, that they can walk past so many No Dogs signs, and ignore the Birds Nesting signs?

They got shouted at for their trouble, which wasn't what they expected, and hopefully embarrassed them in front of the other people.
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:28 pm

Good work shouter! If more people would do it we might have fewer problems.
zarkov

Postby zarkov » Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:36 pm

Old thread but it will do.

At Karepiro beach this morning:

100+ Godwits, 25 residents plus 75 new arrivals.

Return to “General Birding Discussion”