Bird window strikes.

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
zarkov

Bird window strikes.

Postby zarkov » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:33 pm

Had a Keruru hit my bedroom window this morning. [you can see he outline of the impact on the glass]

I've always thought they were trying to fly through the room and out a window on the other side.

However, today it was clearly the reflection of the sky in the window that fooled the bird.

I Found this http://www.projectkereru.org.nz/prevent ... dow-strike on the net.

Anyone had any experiences relating to the product and the problem?
Pat Miller

Re: Bird window strikes.

Postby Pat Miller » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:24 pm

Before I replaced the old windows which had 3mm glass, with aluminium ones, which have 4mm glass and before the hedge on the N side of my house grew to roof height, there was a line of sight through my north facing dining room windows and the french doors in the same room on the west side of the house. I came home one day to find one of the windows broken. I noticed our cat looking interestedly at something and found a native pigeon behind the ranchslider curtains on the east side of the room. The bird had a bit of blood on it, but was OK and when I opened the ranchslider door it flew off before I could grab it, just clearing the deck railing.
SomesBirder

Postby SomesBirder » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:09 am

I have had some very unfortunate experiences with window strikes; the worst case probably being a Falcon that was found dead on my balcony about nine years ago. One Kereru that hit a window on my property some years ago was fortunately nurtured back to health by a local bird caregiver who is apparently retired now. I remember that a juvenile Blackbird once hit a window on my property, but after spending a few minutes recovering from apparent shock, it flew off. The most recent unfortunate window strike occurred during the Christmas holidays, when the only California Quail that has ever turned up on my property failed to recover after being brought inside.
Davidthomas

Postby Davidthomas » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:08 am

Another bird notorious for window-striking is the shining Cuckoo. We have had two hit our windows over the years and have been the only times we really ever see them. One thing that has the pigeons side is they are so fluffy they often bounce off the window and after being groggy for a while recover. While im not certain of the success of the suggested product i have heard of people advocating raptor silhouette UV stickers to prevent window strike.
Jan

Postby Jan » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:30 am

These UV decals were mentioned at the last Birds NZ Conference as being quite successful.

Maybe I should get some, then we could wash the windows a bit more as so far I've found if we don't wash them much, the birds don't think they can fly through.
If you get a concussed bird, put it in a closed cardboard box in a warm dark place like the airing cupboard for about a hour.
In my experience they are usually bouncing around inside when the box is taken outside, and can't wait to fly away. This prevents dogs and cats attacking them when they're vulnerable.
We don't have native Pigeons in our part of Christchurch, though I've seen a couple a few times recently, so someone must have a glut of small crab-apples around here.
les

Postby les » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:18 am

We had our windows tinted with that see out but can`t see in due to some trees that were logged next to the house and resulting excessive heat/sun coming in.The bird strikes have been often and quite regular,luckily only blackbirds ,sparrows etc so far?On the plus side you get good birdwatching oppurtunities as they don`t know you are there,Saw a harrier the other day feeding on a rabbit I had shot out the bedroom door by the same means?All the quail parade around on the lawn and come up and peck at their .reflections in the reflective windows.
Raptor

Postby Raptor » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:56 pm

If you want to do your bit for bird rescue and reduce their work plus save the smudges on the window check out this website for window decals
http://birdrescue.co.nz/
Also most local bird rescue centres (list on same website) will probably have them as well - support your own centre that way. 8-)
Jilly

Postby Jilly » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:01 pm

Thanks Raptor, am going to send for a decal pack. Have seen others with larger raptor-like birds on the decal but have never seen them in a shop so these will do fine. Jilly
zarkov

Postby zarkov » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:04 am

A friend sent me this You tube vid that outlines a simple way to prevent bird strikes on windows.

Obviously it wouldn't suit all windows, but I like the logic behind it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC9xQkU ... e=youtu.be

Return to “General Birding Discussion”