The Humble Chook A.K.A Red Junglefowl

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Shane McPherson

The Humble Chook A.K.A Red Junglefowl

Postby Shane McPherson » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:34 pm

There seems to be a grey area about whether to include feral fowl in birdcounts?

I noticed recently that in the landcare Backyard Birdcount, Red Junglefowl was a species option.

On the online Avibase, the humble chook does not appear in NZ's mainland list (it does in America), and in eBird it is certainly not an option - no matter how much I try! Considering the many location where feral fowl are present, the demographics and distribution of this species is being ignored.

AH HA! but I am able to add Red Junglefowl to the eBird Express excel database, with verified checklist taxonomy. At the risk of ridicule... what is general public opinion.
Brent Stephenson

Re: The Humble Chook A.K.A Red Junglefowl

Postby Brent Stephenson » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:12 pm

I think it should be added to the list! It is and always will be on my list and "The 'Official' New Zealand Birder's checklist" as per here on our website - much to Sav's dismay. As you say there is an opportunity to monitor the spread of this species throughout New Zealand, from roadside stop to roadside stop, and it would be interesting to know in exactly how many locations nationwide they are present.

I'm tempted to add that I think green junglefowl should be added too, as some of those by the Pohuehue Viaduct just south of Warkworth seem to show more likeness to this species :roll:

Cheers,
Brent Stephenson
Wrybill Birding Tours, NZ - Great birds, real birders
iain johnson

Re: The Humble Chook A.K.A Red Junglefowl

Postby iain johnson » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:57 pm

at least two (white) birds sheltering by the miranda - kawakawa bay road plus another on the side of SH1!

Return to “General Birding Discussion”