Are these Kiwis preening, fighting, or playing?

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
robsphotography

Are these Kiwis preening, fighting, or playing?

Postby robsphotography » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:18 pm

I recently visited the nocturnal house at Nga Manu Nature Reserve at Waikanae and I captured a video of two Kiwis interacting with each other. I am interested to hear your opinion about whether this behaviour is common among Kiwis. Do you think they are preening, fighting, or just playing? The light was extremely low so I was surprised that my Sony A7RII camera could focus at all on the birds through thick glass.

This video can be seen here:

[youtube]Im8iICs9FQM[/youtube]

Thanks for your opinions on this video.

Regards
Rob
Amber Calman

Re: Are these Kiwis preening, fighting, or playing?

Postby Amber Calman » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:20 pm

A pair mating I would think. That hoping on each other and preening looks like a clumsy version of what other birds do...
(*)> Amber Calman, Age 15
/ ) Blog https://youngbirderdom.wordpress.com/
/"
Byrd

Postby Byrd » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:39 am

yes, they were mating. Their behaviour towards one another was quite normal.
robsphotography

Postby robsphotography » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:15 am

Byrd wrote:yes, they were mating. Their behaviour towards one another was quite normal.

Thanks very much for your replies. In the 2014 article linked to below about Kiwis mating it said that:

"Rare footage of what seems to be a rough, noisy kiwi mating ritual has been captured at a wildlife centre"

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/10650655/White-kiwis-unusual-mating-ritual

I am not sure whether the video I have just captured could be regarded as "rare footage", but perhaps it is?

Regards
Rob
Byrd

Postby Byrd » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:10 pm

robsphotography wrote:
Byrd wrote:yes, they were mating. Their behaviour towards one another was quite normal.

Thanks very much for your replies. In the 2014 article linked to below about Kiwis mating it said that:

"Rare footage of what seems to be a rough, noisy kiwi mating ritual has been captured at a wildlife centre"

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/10650655/White-kiwis-unusual-mating-ritual

I am not sure whether the video I have just captured could be regarded as "rare footage", but perhaps it is?

Regards
Rob

for the media everything is "rare" - it sells better. However, I don't know how much video footage there actually is of kiwi mating. I worked with captive kiwi for many years so have seen the live thing many many times; there's lots of poking and kicking to get the partner in the mood.

Return to “General Birding Discussion”