Repetitive, one-note tui call driving us nuts

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Bozz

Re: Repetitive, one-note tui call driving us nuts

Postby Bozz » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:28 am

Steps wrote:Our last home of 27yrs.. moved few months ago... had a huge banskia tree and eventually 1 tui
The single call, 1st bird to wake (just before sunrise.. up last to go to sleep just after sun rise
Then our karaka, puriri, totara and many other trees grew, bringing in more birds and more tui.
Once we had more than a couple then because a huge variety of calls....aerobatic fights, even dropping out of the tree, confident in their fly path , often taping us on the head with a wing while in the garden or walking out the back door.
Then they started nesting in local trees and little suburban park....whole families of tui..
Something we where going to miss along with the fantails etc.
New home..And yes.. tuis nesting in the trees over the back section..youngsters doing their squabble aerobatics, fan tails fantails.
And along with fantails flicking thru the deck area, the tuis hanging off the 5 fingers feeding 2 to 3 ms away while we have a cup tea.

If have single tuis, increase the food supply.. trees get more and the whole situation changes dramatically.

I wonder if there are any tui-enticing-trees that I can grow to maturity over night ;) or I should put out some nectar... but then I'd need to get the new tuis to bring new and better song with them... :roll:
A bird in the bush is worth 2 on your plate
zarkov

Postby zarkov » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:32 pm

I offer my Tuis a perfect combination of summer flowering and fruiting trees, and best quality winter nectar feeders.

Everything works well in the winter, with six or seven birds living in harmony on the feeder outside my bedroom window..

However, come the Summer, there's nearly always one alpha male who who takes control of the territory, and drives everyone to distraction, driving the Wood pigeons away, attacking the neighbors pets, and subjecting us to a constant [every 10 seconds from 5am to 9 pm for 3 months] repetitive piercing "toot ta toot".

Surely there's an exclusion clause for protected birds like this.
maz

Postby maz » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:40 pm

Does anyone know if a tui will use the same song for long periods of time eg months or even years? we have a tui that sings the same song every day and then when I was walking the dogs a km away, it was singing the same song in the next valley from us
zarkov

Postby zarkov » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:25 pm

I think they learn calls from one another.

It seems pretty seasonal, the repetitive calls have ceased here atm thank goodness.
Bozz

Postby Bozz » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:03 am

It seems pretty seasonal, the repetitive calls have ceased here atm thank goodness.[/quote]

From my understanding, the repetitive calls are the males doing territorial 'call backs' to each other and they seem to be mostly doing it November - February (the height of the breeding season?). So you'll get several males calling out the same repetitive call, from high tree to high tree, across a valley etc. I've noticed the calls are the same within any given area but differ between larger zones.
Bozz

Postby Bozz » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:05 am

maz wrote:Does anyone know if a tui will use the same song for long periods of time eg months or even years? we have a tui that sings the same song every day and then when I was walking the dogs a km away, it was singing the same song in the next valley from us

I've noticed they can use the same call from year to year (hence the madness and frustration that our tui one-note call causes for us year after year) but it can also change too, as they pick up other sounds, bird calls etc and their call morphs and changes
Bozz

Postby Bozz » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:07 am

zarkov wrote:I offer my Tuis a perfect combination of summer flowering and fruiting trees, and best quality winter nectar feeders.

Everything works well in the winter, with six or seven birds living in harmony on the feeder outside my bedroom window..

However, come the Summer, there's nearly always one alpha male who who takes control of the territory, and drives everyone to distraction, driving the Wood pigeons away, attacking the neighbors pets, and subjecting us to a constant [every 10 seconds from 5am to 9 pm for 3 months] repetitive piercing "toot ta toot".

Surely there's an exclusion clause for protected birds like this.

Hehehehehehe YES, an exclusion clause is needed for sure!!!

I'd like to add our stuck, one-note nagging tui to this exclusion clause please
Bozz

Postby Bozz » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:14 am

Does anyone have a tui that sounds like ours? I'm still convinced that it is mimicking the spur winged plover that are on the golf course opposite our house :x https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqvwGotqej4

Return to “General Birding Discussion”