Wood Pigeons, Auckland City

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Jim Kirker

Wood Pigeons, Auckland City

Postby Jim Kirker » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:27 pm

Is anyone else seeing these ? Seven since May, near Newmarket Park and in Epsom.
RussCannings

Re: Wood Pigeons, Auckland City

Postby RussCannings » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:03 am

Hi Jim,
I'm not an Aucklander but I see NZ Pigs most times I visit friends in Mt Albert.

Russ C
Jim Kirker

Postby Jim Kirker » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:44 pm

Thanks Russ, good to know this. The Mt Albert area looks like a NZ Pigeon desert on ebird ! Peter Kyne reported one in Western Springs the same day Nat saw three near Newmarket Park. I haven't noticed them in Auckland City before or heard of any and suspect there are more around than there used to be.
RussCannings

Postby RussCannings » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:55 pm

I guess I had better be more diligent with my urban ebirding in future!

Russ C
Cambridge, NZ
Okuralass

Postby Okuralass » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:05 am

May not quite qualify as Auckland City :D but lots of Kereru around Browns Bay (and tui).
Steps

Postby Steps » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:05 am

Get a couple fly thry our place in Sth Auckland ( right in urban area) Also have resident an tails and seems a couple tui have now moved in some months back.. think they roost in the cabbage tree or the totara. And a kaka a while back in the puriri tree
http://www.kakariki.net
My Spelling is NOT incorrect, it's Creative
David Riddell

Postby David Riddell » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:55 pm

Stayed with friends in Western Springs last night and asked them about this - they say precious few around them, but they often see pigeons out Epsom way and around Mt Eden, especially at the gardens, and have done for years - they're not sure there's been a recent increase. They're not really birders, but take an interest. My daughter lived on Milton Rd, off Dominion Rd near the Mt Eden end, for about 18 months up until about a year ago, and sometimes got them in the large puriri and karaka trees in her garden.
harryhatman

Postby harryhatman » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:43 pm

I have seen them a few times in the city flying over. Once last year I even saw them feeding by my house in newmarket just between broadway roundabout and the olympic pools.
ThomasBirder

Postby ThomasBirder » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:23 am

I've seen one flying overhead in Kohimarama in the Eastern Suburbs, also lots of tui.
Jim Kirker

Postby Jim Kirker » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:43 pm

I've seen several over the past year, mainly in the Parnell, Epsom, Remuera area and in Wattle bay. Those first ones in June last year were a surprise, but now they are quite familiar. I've lived in Auckland on and off since the 1950s and I'm sure they are more common now than they used to be. There was a pair recently feeding on japanese privet berries in Wairua reserve by traffic-heavy Remuera road. On the ebird map, they are mainly reported in or near bush often by the coast. I suspect they travel along bush clad gullies to bush remnants and reserves with berry bushes and trees and young leaves and shoots.

Return to “General Birding Discussion”