Kiwi in Rimutaka Forest Park (Wellington)

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Byrd

Kiwi in Rimutaka Forest Park (Wellington)

Postby Byrd » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:47 am

An article from the Dominion Post about the reintroduced kiwi at the Rimutaka Forest Park near Wainuiomata (Wellington). From 20 birds released in 2009 there are now an estimated 120 birds.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/999 ... ington-cbd

Does anyone know anything about trying to see these birds, or has gone there themselves?
Peter Hodge

Re: Kiwi in Rimutaka Forest Park (Wellington)

Postby Peter Hodge » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:36 pm

I work on the trapping programme for this project. The area where most of the kiwi are - the Turere and Whakanui Streams catchments - is pretty easy to get to from Sunny Grove in Wainuiomata. However it is steep bush country, so you need to be equipped for tramping. It's unlikely that'll you see them - I've heard Kiwi calling at night and early morning but have only seen them when we've been doing burrow monitoring. Anyway, if you're interested in visiting the area, PM me and I'll send you the details.

Peter
Byrd

Re: Kiwi in Rimutaka Forest Park (Wellington)

Postby Byrd » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:50 pm

Thanks Peter. I don't have any immediate plans for visiting, more of a general curiosity. I may message you in the future sometime though...

Return to “General Birding Discussion”