Nocturnal records of seabirds flying across Auckland isthmus

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Trina

Nocturnal records of seabirds flying across Auckland isthmus

Postby Trina » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:49 am

Hi there,

I am trying to find documented evidence of nocturnal seabird movements (e.g. Cook's petrel) across the isthmus near the Whau River Estuary & Te Atatu Peninsula. Does anyone have any records that could be used to inform the instigating of management actions for this part of the Northern Flyway?

I would appreciate any information you may have.

Thanks,
Trina.
Cookeman

Re: Nocturnal records of seabirds flying across Auckland isthmus

Postby Cookeman » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:27 am

Hi Trina

I have heard calls at night of what I am confident are Cooks Petrels, from my home in Schnapper Rock. I first heard them about 2 years ago and have heard them a number of times since. Mostly the calls have come from over the North Shore Golf Course and each time they have been a few hundred metres apart in different places and seem to be from a few birds at least. I last heard them a couple of weeks ago and tried to record them, but without success.

I have also heard them in greater numbers from the home of friends above Christian Bay area near Tawharanui.

At first I was quite non-plussed as to what they could be. Phil Hammond suggested they could be Cook’s Petrels. Each of the times I’ve heard them since, I’ve listened to recordings at the same time, which has convinced me of of their identity as Cooks.

I am very interested to hear if anyone else has heard the same?

Kind regards
Chris Cooke (no relation!)

Return to “General Birding Discussion”