Mutualism between human and birds

General birdwatching discussion, help with bird identification, and all other things relating to wild birds and birding in NZ that don't fit in one of the other forums.
Robyn

Mutualism between human and birds

Postby Robyn » Sun May 27, 2018 11:18 pm

Hi - my name is Robyn and I live at Muriwai Beach west coast of Auckland. I would love to hear from anyone who finds the following information interesting. A few months ago I had given to me a canary in a cage. I felt sorry for it and about six weeks later I released him in the hope that he would be happier and that, of his own choice, he could come and go from mine. Anyway he never returned. I felt terrible! I had recorded his song several times on my phone, so I started going for evening walks up the hill from my place, playing the canary song and calling out in the hope that he would hear me.

I must admit that it surprised me when a group of Tui and Mynas started to join me for my evening walk. They seemed eager to hear the canary song too.

To date, I have quite a variety of birds flying and hopping from tree to tree, and they haven't been lured by food or anythng like that. "The flock" as I affectionately call them comprises Tui, Mynas, Fantails, Kingfishers, Blackbirds, Grey Warblers, Wax-Eyes, Rosellas, Feral Barbery Doves, Wood Pigeons, Thrushes, Chaffinches, and other birds I have yet to identify.

I have kept a diary of the day to day findings. I have done this so as not to forget details that are important.

I would love to hear any body's thoughts because this is very new to me and would value any feedback. Thanks.
Neil Fitzgerald
Site Admin

Re: Mutualism between human and birds

Postby Neil Fitzgerald » Tue May 29, 2018 9:24 pm

Hi Robyn
Some of our forest birds are known to form mixed flocks in winter. Each species presumably is able to exploit slightly different food and perhaps together better avoid predators than searching alone. I wonder if you are seeing something like this.
David Riddell

Postby David Riddell » Wed May 30, 2018 8:41 am

I suspect the birds may be drawn in by the unusual sound of the canary song. Many birds will fly down to check out an unfamiliar, bird-like noise, which might indicate alarm at the presence of a predator, or some new intruder on their territories. It's possible to bring birds in simply by "kissing" the back of your hand to make a squeaking sound; in America you can buy professionally made callers to attract the birds.
https://www.birdcall.com/products/audubon-bird-call
Jim_j

Postby Jim_j » Wed May 30, 2018 9:16 am

Hi Robyn

Please don't release caged birds to the wild - they certainly wont be better off and there is always the chance they could spread disease or parasites.

cheers
jim
boneywhitefoot

Postby boneywhitefoot » Wed May 30, 2018 10:06 pm

Try a morepork call during the day in the bush, you will be surprised how many different birds turn up at times
Robyn

Postby Robyn » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:36 am

Thank you for taking the time to reply. My husband and I have been living in this area for 32 years and the Tui, Black birds, Kingfishers and other birds, including Kiwi, have stayed in this area and they all love to communicate with us. Please don't hesitate to contact me if this subject interests you.

Kind regards, Robyn.
les

Postby les » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:43 pm

I am sure the local morepork was happy that you released the canary into the wild?

Return to “General Birding Discussion”